2011, SU installed a bottle filling station inside Henson Science Hall.
The station was suggested by the SGA to help reduce the number of
disposable water bottles on campus. The Joyce Agency donated the unit.
- The SU Bookstore offers a free reusable shopping bag or "urban
shopper" paper bags with each purchase. Customers bringing either of
these types of bags back for use during subsequent trips earn a 10-cent
discount on future purchases.
- As of fall 2011, the SU Bookstore also offers a printer ink
- By signing the American College and University Presidents
Climate Commitment, SU President Janet Dudley-Eshbach joined more than
677 other college and university presidents nationwide in the fight
against global warming by pledging to move SU toward climate neutrality.
- SU President Janet Dudley-Eshbach was honored with the Newton
Marasco Foundation's inaugural award for Leading Environmental
Stewardship, which recognizes individuals and organizations that are
taking practical yet innovative sustainable action in their local
- President Dudley-Eshbach was also honored with the Mountaire
Environmental Star Award for "outstanding contribution to the
advancement, promotion, awareness and improvement of our environment."
- SU contracted with Tandus, a Georgia-based floor covering
company, to re-carpet Blackwell Library. Carpet removed from Blackwell
was recycled into other Tandus products, and the library's new carpet
was made partially from recycled carpet from other facilities. This type
of recycling is now standard in all of SU's carpeting Requests For
- Paper purchased for office use is made of 30 percent recycled
materials and then recycled itself.
- During a renovation project in Fulton Hall, SU piloted a
program using non-volatile organic compound paint, which provides better
air quality when compared to paints used in the past.
- SU achieved LEED Gold certification for Pocomoke Hall. In the
renovation of Wicomico, Manokin and Nanticoke residence halls, SU is
seeking additional Gold certifications. A geothermal system supplies
heating and cooling for Wicomico, Manokin and Nanticoke. In addition,
the Nanticoke renovation included another first - a roof-mounted solar
hot water heater to supply domestic hot water.
- SU replaced the boilers in Maggs Physical Activity Center with
high-efficiency boilers. To support the new boilers, variable frequency
pump drives and associated control valve were also replaced resulting in
a significant improvement in HVAC efficiency.
- Since fall 2011, the caps and gowns worn by graduating
students have been made from recycled plastic bottles and are supplied
by GreenWeaver. Each year, GreenWeaver donates a portion of the cost of
these gowns to the University to fund sustainability projects.