- All washers and dryers in SU's traditional residence halls
are Energy Star rated units. The washers use 12.2 gallons per
wash - a savings of three gallons from previous machines. In
addition, washers feature an auto-injection system for high
efficiency detergent to eliminate the need for large, plastic
detergent and fabric softener bottles. The manufacturer of the
machines - Mac-Gray Intelligent Laundry Systems - has included
SU as one of the first three institutions in its new carbon
neutral footprint program.
- Most cleaning supplies are GS-37 certified, meaning
they are biodegradable.
- Cleaning equipment, such as mops and pads, is
laundered to reduce the frequency of replacement.
- Housekeeping hours are
4 p.m.-12:30 a.m. to reduce the
amount of energy needed to heat and light the buildings for
- All residence halls and most academic buildings use
coreless toilet tissue that has 70 percent post-consumer
- Paper towels have been replaced in residence hall
restrooms with hand dryers.