Tips for Pedestrians
- Cross streets safely. Cross at corners using cross walks and traffic signals. Make eye contact with drivers and do not assume that the driver can see you. If you are not in a crosswalk wait until there is no traffic to cross.
- Look left and look right. And keep looking as you cross the road. Do not run
- Walk on sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks walk facing traffic to the far left as possible, this increases the drivers’ chances of seeing you.
- Watch for cars. Be especially aware of cars backing up or turning.
- If using a phone, stop walking. Phones are distracting.
- Remove headphones when crossing the street. You want to be aware of all possible dangers such as approaching vehicles. Many times cars will use horns or yell if you are in danger. You want to be able to hear them.
- Don’t assume others will follow all the rules. Just because drivers are supposed to be observing traffic laws doesn’t mean they will. It is ultimately up to you to protect yourself from dangerous situations by observing these safety tips.
- Be predictable. Stay off freeways and other restricted zones. Use sidewalks when possible. Keep a straight path.
* * *