Tips for Mopeds/Scooters
(Note: Though moped/scooters require steps unique to them to ensure safety, one must also observe all safety regulations for motorists.)
- Ride with the flow of traffic. This allows you to make turns with the traffic and decreases the risk of crossing paths with another vehicle.
- Obey the speed limits and never travel faster than your skill level allows. If your skill level does not allow you to travel at a certain speed, refrain from traveling on roads where the flow of traffic moves at that speed.
- Do not operate your scooter at night. Scooters are not equipped with the proper lighting to be used at night and are not easily visible to motorists or pedestrians.
- Obey all traffic laws and use hand signals. A scooter/moped is a motorized vehicle, thus you are subject to all the same laws as cars.
- Use your headlight, even during the day.
- Finally, drive defensively. Realize that other drivers are used to looking for larger vehicles and you may be “invisible” to them, so try to anticipate the actions of others on the roadway and assume they do not see you.
* * *