Professional Education Unit

The Professional Education Unit is made up of the faculty and administrators from schools and departments who coordinate teacher education programs for both initial and advanced programs.  The unit's Conceptual Framework provides a clear statement of what it means to be a professional educator from the perspective of initial and advanced  teacher candidates, university faculty, mentor teachers and P-12 school partners. The conceptual framework is comprised of four themes: Informed and Reflective Practice, Enhanced Student Learning, Scholarship and Collaboration.

The professional education unit serves as an advisory body to provide information about changes to initial and advanced candidate policies as well as accreditation demands to programs and schools that host teacher education programs.  The professional education unit meets annually to review unit data to insure a cycle of continuous improvement to initial and advanced teacher education and other school personnel programs.

Teacher Education Council

The Teacher Education Council facilitates collaboration with colleagues across departments and schools on campus.  Programs in the unit are organized and coordinated through the Teacher Education Council (TEC), chaired by the Associate Dean.  This council facilitates interaction between the Seidel School of Education  and Professional Studies, the Henson School for Science and Technology and Fulton School of Liberal Arts.   TEC has authority to approve policy and changes to professional education curriculum.  TEC serves as an advisory board for all issues related to teacher education.  Membership consists of a representative from each teacher education program, the NCATE Coordinator, Coordinator of Field Experiences, PDS Coordinator, school deans and department chairs, and the Seidel Advising Coordinator.

The Teacher Education Council (TEC) is governed by the TEC Constitution and Bylaws. TEC minutes and annual report document the council's business.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What programs are offered at Salisbury University?
    Teaching Program Degree(s) Offered Grades Licensed to Teach
    Biology BS/Biology 7-12
    Chemistry BS/Chemistry 7-12
    Early Childhood BS/Education P-3
    Early Childhood/Elementary BS/Education P-6
    Earth Science BS/Earth Science 7-12
    Elementary BS/Education 1-6
    English BA/English 7-12
    French BA/Modern Foreign Language K-12
    History BA/History 7-12
    Mathematics BS/Mathematics 7-12
    Music BA/Music (Chorale or Instrumental) K-12
    Physical Education BS/Physical Education K-12
    Physics BS/Physics 7-12
    Spanish BA/Modern Foreign Language K-12

  1. What is the faculty/student ratio for education classes?
    • 1:24
  2. What GPA do I need to enter the program?
    • 2.50 Overall GPA
    • 2.75 Required Pre-Professional Courses (see program checklist)
    • Average GPA of candidates entering the program 3.28
  3. What GPA do I need to stay in the program?
    • 2.50 Overall GPA
    • 2.75 Required Professional Course GPA with no grade below "C"
    • Appropriate Professional Dispositions
  4. What is the average GPA of students that entered programs during the 2012-2013 academic year?
Teaching Program Entry GPA (M)
Chemistry 2.78
Early Childhood 3.09
Early Childhood/Elementary 3.24
Earth Science  
Elementary 3.23
English 3.35
ESOL 3.32
History 3.31
Mathematics 3.36
Music 3.14
Physical Education 3.09
Physics 2.90
Spanish 3.39
  1. How long will it take to earn my SU education degree?
    • Fulltime students who enter as freshman complete their degree in 4 years.
    • Fulltime students who transfer with an Associate of Arts in Teaching from a Maryland Community College complete their degree in 2 years.
    • Fulltime students who transfer without and Associate of Arts in Teaching from a Maryland Community College on average complete their degree in 3 years.
    • Based on the last Alumni Evaluation 90% of SU students reported completing their degree in the expected time.
    • Across the education preparation program three types of school placements are required
      • Placement for foundations courses- occurs during the freshman and sophomore years - minimum 30 hours
      • Placement for professional methods courses- occur during the junior year- minimum 1/2 day each week of the semester or 1 hour/week for each professional program course that one is enrolled
      • Placement for the 100 day internship- occur during the senior year- full time placements require a minimum of one day the semester prior to full-time internship
        • Full-time internship requires 80 days in a professional development school.  School placements change midway so that different grade level experience can be attained.
  2. How much time will I be assigned to work in schools?
    • The number of hours of field experience and clinical practice varies from program to program, check with an education advisor for more information
    • Although each program varies slightly the time spent assigned to school placements ranges from 740 to 800 hours
  3. Where will my internship placement be?
    • Internship placements occur in one of SU's Professional Development Schools
    • SU partners with seven school districts and 33 schools on the Eastern Shore of MD and one elementary school in Anne Arundel County
  4. What makes the SU internship unique from other education programs?
    • SU interns co-teach with a highly trained mentor teacher across their placements
    • Most mentor teachers (n = 848) have completed the SU Mentor Training Module
    • Collaborative conferencing among you, the mentor teacher and the university supervisor occurs regularly
  5. How much supervision will I receive during my internship?
    • SU interns receive regular visits from their university supervisors
    • During 2011-12, 89% of interns reported that the university supervisor visited them eight or more times during the internship semester


  1. What are the pass rates for teacher licensure tests?
    • SU program completers have a 100% pass rate for Maryland required PRAXIS II exams
  2. Can I use my Salisbury University degree to teach in other states?
    • Yes, SU teacher preparation programs are nationally accredited.  Accredited status allows you to use you MD degree to teach in other states.
    • A few states may required a state specific requirement or a specialized licensure test
  3. Do alumni report satisfaction with SU education degrees?
    • In 2011-12, 99% of SU program completers "Agreed or Strongly Agreed" that they would recommend SU teacher education programs to another person
  4. Will I get a job when I finish my degree?
    • 78% of SU 2011-12 alumni reported on a follow-up survey that they were employed as full-time teachers (36%); substitute teachers (29%); paraprofessionals (5%) graduate assistants (8%); or in a non-teaching field (22%)
  5. What type of minor will add to my employability?
    • The addition of a minor can help increase your potential for earning a job
    • Minors that are popular with school districts include:
      • Elementary or Early Childhood majors with an ESOL, Mathematics, Middle School Science, or Spanish
      • Physical Education majors with a Health Education minor