Skip to Main Content
Salisbury University BW
A Maryland University of National Distinction
navigation icon opens header SALISBURY UNIVERSITY

Office of the Registrar
mobile menu icon

VA Educational Benefits


.: VA Educational Benefits :.

scontent: 1 bValue: -1 eValue:1

New Students

The Yellow Ribbon Program

Additional Information for Service Members

How do I apply for and begin using my Federal Education benefits?

  • Review VA education benefits programs below and determine which benefit you eligible for based on our military service or transfer of benefits from your parent to you.
  • To apply for your federal education benefit, submit a Veterans On-line Application (VONAPP) to the Department of Veterans Affairs. This application will start the process for you to receive your federal education benefit. Once you receive your VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in the mail, you will submit this to the Salisbury University Veteran Services School Certifying Official. The certification letter from the VA will state what federal education benefits you able to receive.
  • Submit the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and the Salisbury University Certification Request for Educational Benefits to Veteran Services, located in Holloway Hall, First Floor Room 120.

If you need immediate assistance, please contact:
Veteran Services at (410) 543-6189

Military Experiential Credits at Salisbury University

Credit for military educational experiences will be evaluated upon receipt of a student’s official Joint Services Transcript (JST).    Only official military documents or transcripts can be used for the awarding of credit.  The award of academic credit for military training, coursework or education is subject to the applicability of those credits to a student’s program of study. Credits may need review by appropriate academic departments.  Credit will not be awarded for correspondence courses.

Students can request their official military transcripts for service in the Army, Air Force, Coast Guard, Navy, Marine Corps from

Students should have their military transcripts released to Salisbury University electronically.

The awarding of academic credit for a student’s military training, coursework, or education will be based upon the following nationally accepted assessment methods:

  • American Council on Education (ACE) College Credit Recommendation Service
  • American Council on Education (ACE) Military Guide
  • College level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST) Program*
  • Joint Services Transcripts (JST)
  • Advanced Placement (AP) Program of the College Board
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) Exams

*DANTES credit will be awarded on a case by case basis by the department chair of your intended major or minor.

Salisbury University also offers Departmental Exams, Departmental Assessments and Course Challenge for credit.

Limits on transfer credit for military training, coursework or education is governed by the University’s Transfer Credit Policies found at and in the Salisbury University Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog.

Air Force
Coast Guard
Navy/Marine Corps
The university will determine which credits will transfer.

Prospective students should have their transcripts mailed to:
Salisbury University
Office of Admissions
1200 Camden Avenue
Salisbury, MD 21801

Once you've been admitted, the Office of Admissions will perform an initial evaluation of your transfer credits. The final determination of how your transfer credits are applied toward degree requirements will be made by the Registrar’s Office.

Which Federal Education benefit am I eligible for?
Please review the below education programs that provides basic information on each benefit. Please click on the link "learn more" which will take you to the Veterans Affairs education website that will give you in depth information on current payment rates and program/chapter information.

Post 9/11 GI Bill and Transfer of Education Benefit (Chapter 33)
The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for veterans with at least 90 days of total service on or after September 11, 2001, or veterans discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Veterans who qualify for this benefit can also transfer their education benefit to their family members. The Basic Allowance for Housing rate for Salisbury, Maryland is $1143.00 without dependents and $1350.00 a month with dependents..

Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)
The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty.

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment – VetSuccess Program (Chapter 31)
The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 31. It is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 program. The VetSuccess program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. For Veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, VetSuccess offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible.

Survivors and Dependents Assistance (Chapter 35)
Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree or certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

Selected Reserve / National Guard (MGIB-SR) (Chapter 1606)
The MGIB – Selected Reserve program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. This includes the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard Reserve programs, as well as the Army and Air National Guard programs. You may use this education assistance program for degree programs, certificate or correspondence courses, cooperative training, independent study programs, apprenticeship/on-the-job training, and vocational flight training programs. Remedial, refresher and deficiency training are available under certain circumstances.

Reserve Education Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
It is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits. We encourage all of our veterans to apply for Federal financial aid and scholarships in order to take advantage of all funding sources available and to ensure resources are accessible should there be any delays in the processing of VA education benefits.

As a student veteran using your federal education benefit, you may be eligible for financial aid assistance. The Salisbury University website will provide you with a wealth of knowledge in applying for assistance. This website will provide information on how to apply for financial aid, completing the required forms, as well as resources on how much your anticipated education costs may be.

If you need assistance, you may contact the Financial Aid Office at (410) 543-6165 or Their location on campus is in Holloway Hall Room 213.

Sources: Department of Veterans Affairs Salisbury University

Need help or have questions about this page? Please visit our Ask a Question or Report a Problem page.
Salisbury University 1101 Camden Avenue Salisbury, MD 21801 410-543-6000