Personal Safety Tips
- Now: Fri Oct 02 11:55:20 EDT 2015
- Today: $today
- Oct 2, 2015 11:55:20 AM
- 10-02-2015 11:55 AM
- October 2, 2015 11:55:20 AM EDT
Enable: $enabledate, Expire: $expiredate
These tips, compiled by the University Police, apply wherever one resides. The precautions may lessen the likelihood of becoming a victim. Increasing awareness of crime prevention techniques may decrease the opportunity for a person to commit a criminal offense.
- You are your own best protection.
- Keep your door locked at all times. Don’t unlock the door for strangers. Keep first-floor windows locked.
- Walk in well-lit areas and stay near the curb, away from alleys, entry ways and bushes where someone could be hiding.
- Do not walk or jog alone after dark.
- Avoid short cuts. Walk where there are other people present.
- Do not hitchhike or accept rides from strangers. If a driver asks you for directions, stay far enough away so that you cannot be pulled into the car. Do not pick up strangers.
- If you are being followed when walking, change directions, vary speed. Go to a well-lit area where there are other people. If followed by someone in a car, turn and walk in the other direction. Record the license number.
- Park your car in a well-lit area and lock the doors.
- If you need an escort to or from your car, call the University Police, 410-543-6222.
- Report any suspicious activity or crimes to the University Police, located in the East Campus Complex, 410-543-6222.
- Top -