Student Vacation Tips
Thanksgiving, Winter, Spring,
and Summer Break
Student vacations are a time when many will be away from their
off-campus apartment or house. The safety of these residences is of a
great concern for police departments. Some off-campus residences have
burglarized in years past. Here are some crime prevention tips to be
aware of while you are away on vacation.
- Have good locks on the doors and windows - use them.
- Make sure your residence appears lived in - not empty.
- Ask a neighbor to keep an eye on the place while you are gone.
- Use timers to turn on lights, televisions, or radios
while you are gone.
- Turn your phone ringers down or off.
- Do not announce your absence on your answering machine.
- Try to leave a vehicle parked in your driveway while you are gone.
- Take all valuables with you.
- Ask the local police to check you residence while you are away.