PERSONAL SAFETY TIPS
These tips, compiled by the University Police, apply
wherever one resides.
The precautions may lessen the likelihood of becoming a victim.
Increasing awareness of crime prevention techniques may decrease the
opportunity for a person to commit a criminal offense.
- You are your own best protection.
- Keep your door locked at all times. Don’t unlock the door for
strangers. Keep first-floor windows locked.
- Walk in well-lit areas and stay near the curb, away from alleys,
entry ways and bushes where someone could be hiding.
- Do not walk or jog alone after dark.
- Avoid short cuts. Walk where there are other people present.
- Do not hitchhike or accept rides from strangers. If a driver
asks you for directions, stay far enough away so that you cannot be
pulled into the car. Do not pick up strangers.
- If you are being followed when walking, change directions, vary
speed. Go to a well-lit area where there are other people.
If followed by someone in a car, turn and walk in the other direction.
Record the license number.
- Park your car in a well-lit area and lock the doors.
- If you need an escort to or from your car, call the University
- Report any suspicious activity or crimes to the University Police,
located in the East Campus Complex, 410-543-6222.