University Police
Holloway Hall


Reporting Crimes and Emergencies

University Police, located in the East Campus Complex, is responsible for personal safety and law enforcement on campus. Officers are on duty 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

All Salisbury University students, faculty, staff and visitors are encouraged to make prompt and accurate reports to the University Police if they are a victim or witness of a crime. To contact University Police dial 410-543-6222 from a public phone, Ext. 36222 from any campus phone or #787 from a Verizon cell phone. Campus extension phones are situated at various locations in academic buildings and at the main entrances to most of the residence halls. You may also use "blue light" emergency phones which are placed at various locations on the grounds.  In addition, crimes may also be reported to the Dean of Students (410-548-2365), Associate Vice President of Student Affairs (410-543-6084), Vice President of Student Affairs (410-543-6080), Assistant Director for Residence Life (410-548-9165), Director of Housing and Residence Life (410-543-6040) or the Assistant Director for Operations and Judicial Management (410-543-6040).

If you have information about a crime or incident and wish to remain anonymous, you can utilize the “Silent Witness” program that is available on the Internet at  If the crime occurred off campus, University Police will direct you to the appropriate law enforcement agency. Campus professional and pastoral counselors, when acting as such, are exempt from reporting requirements.  As a matter of policy they are encouraged, if and when they deem it appropriate, to inform persons being counseled of the procedures to report crimes on a voluntary basis for inclusion into the annual crime statistics.

Back to Top

Timely Reporting

An informed public is better prepared to ensure its own safety. Crimes and incidents are reported to The Flyer, the campus newspaper, on a weekly basis. The regular column "Crime Beat" contains a summary of occurrences from the previous week. A daily log of incidents is available on the Internet at  Timely notices are made to the campus community via electronic bulletin boards and/or e-mail and other media when serious incidents merit. The weekly campus newsletter, SU News, is widely distributed on campus. Each edition contains "personal safety tips" and other relevant information about safety and well being on campus.

Back to Top

Building Access Control

Residence halls are kept locked 24 hours a day. These facilities are for use by residents and their bona fide guests only. Access is controlled electronically by student Gull Card. Residents are encouraged to keep their doors locked at all times, even if they are only going to be out for a "few minutes." If exterior doors are propped open, an alarm will sound. Guests gain access to residence halls by telephoning residents and having the residents meet them at the door. All students have phone jacks in their rooms and a phone is located at the front of most residence halls.

University Park apartment complex, a public-private partnership on Milford Street, is managed by Allen & O'Hara Education Services, Inc.  Allen & O'Hara Education Services (410-677-0774;  is responsible for the physical security and maintenance of this property.  Residents access their unit by a keyless electronic card access system.

Academic and administrative buildings are normally open from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, and at other times when events are scheduled. Blackwell Library is open seven days a week with hours posted in front. Those needing access at times when buildings are closed may have it if proper authorization is received by the University Police from a responsible faculty member or administrator. Key control is maintained by the University Police.

Back to Top

Campus Security

Outdoor lighting is surveyed on a monthly basis and repairs are made in a timely manner. Trees and shrubbery are regularly trimmed so that exterior lighting is not blocked and walks and entrances are kept clear. Landscaping is maintained to minimize security risks.

Back to Top

University Police Officers' Authority

University police officers are sworn, certified police officers as required by Maryland state law. All officers attend the minimum standards training for police officers as mandated by the Maryland Police Training Commission; annual in-service training is required. Enforcement authority of University police is derived from the Annotated Code of Maryland Education Article 13- 601. University police have enforcement authority on the jurisdiction of the University. The Maryland State Police, Wicomico County Sheriff's Department and the Salisbury Police Department may be called for assistance if requested by the University.

Security Guards

Security officers have the authority to ask persons for identification and to determine whether individuals have lawful business on campus. These officers perform routine security activities to protect buildings and property and safeguard the community during normal operations and special events. Security officers are not law enforcement officers.  They have no power of arrest.  Criminal incidents are referred to University Police who have jurisdiction on the campus.

Allied Police Support

The Maryland State Police, Wicomico County Sheriff's Office and the Salisbury Police Department are the primary law enforcement agencies responsible for providing public safety to the immediate neighborhood and business areas surrounding campus.  These police agencies may be called for assistance if requested by the University.  Likewise, if requested, University Police can respond and assist the local police agencies with student-related incidents that occur in close proximity to the campus.

Back to Top

Off‑Campus Behavior

Students are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with local, state and federal laws both on and off campus. The University reserves the right to take disciplinary action against individuals/groups for off-campus misconduct detrimental to University interests.

When a Salisbury University student is involved in an off-campus offense, University police may assist with the investigation in cooperation with local, state, or federal law enforcement.  The Salisbury Police routinely work and communicate with University Police on any serious incidents occurring in the immediate areas surrounding campus.  Salisbury University operates no off-campus housing or off-campus student organization facilities.  However, if requested, University Police will respond and assist the local police agencies with student-related incidents that occur in close proximity to the campus.

Back to Top