One of the best attributes of Salisbury University is the availability of numerous places to jog. The area around the school is flat with numerous neighborhoods to jog through providing a myriad of courses to run. Jogging is an excellent way to get an aerobic workout completed in a short period of time. The people in the university community need to be aware that there are dangers when jogging. Joggers are susceptible to criminal attack. One of the problems for joggers is that they can become so preoccupied in their physical activity that they fail to be alert and pay attention to their surroundings. Sometimes joggers are too busy concentrating on how much farther they have to go and on putting one foot in front of the next that they do not realize what is happening around them.
The following are a series of personal safety tips for joggers and runners:
- Jog or run with a known companion.
- Jog or run in a familiar area.
- Do not jog or run in a heavily wooded, poorly lighted or secluded area.
- If jogging or running alone, do not wear radio or recorder earphones.
- Do not jog or run after dark at least not by yourself.
- Do not jog or run near bushes, which can provide concealment.
- Wear bright colored clothing to improve your visibility.
- Vary your route and pattern of jogging or running.
- Carry a whistle or a personal alarm device when you jog or run.
- If followed, go to the nearest residence, open business or group of people.
- Carry you car and/or home key with you.