Advising and Expectations
The Advising Services Office provides information to
students who have additional questions after meeting
with their Faculty Advisor. Information from this
office does not take the place of meetings with the
student’s Faculty Advisor. The office provides
permission to study at another institution, resources,
major and minor information, Professional Program
admission criteria, as well as pertinent forms and
documentation needed for graduation.
Advising Services Coordinator:
Expectations of the Advising Services
Meet with students who need further assistance after
speaking with their faculty advisor.
Complete the change of major/minor paperwork with
students and review requirements.
Assign Faculty Advisors to incoming students.
Hold academic workshops for students throughout the
Meet with students who wish to study at another
Post substitutions and record all waivers for
Admit students to the
Professional Program and send correspondence about
Advise all business minors throughout their career
Communicate curriculum, graduation requirements, and
university policies and procedures to faculty and
Expectations of Faculty Advisors:
- Assist students in exploring areas of study.
Help students choose the appropriate majors, minors,
- Have a minimum of five office hours each week.
These hours will be posted on your Faculty Advisor’s
door or website.
- Communicate degree requirements, curriculum,
graduation requirements, and policies/procedures to
students. These are found
in your MyClasses Advising area.
- Listen to students and confidentially advise
them. Faculty Advisors will not speak with your
parents about your academics.
- Refer students to other offices when
- Provide accurate information to students.
Expectations of Students:
- Accept responsibility for your academic
progression and decisions.
- Review your academic
requirements report each semester
and track your progression.
- Meet with your Faculty Advisor at least once a
- Come prepared to all advising meetings with
questions and advising materials.
- Review SU and PSB policies and procedures in
your catalog and direct any questions to your
- Seek out help when needed, do not wait until the
- Check your school email account on a weekly basis.