Skip to Main Content
Salisbury University BW
A Maryland University of National Distinction
navigation icon opens header SALISBURY UNIVERSITY

mobile menu icon

ABLE for Students

Frequently Asked Questions

When can I complete my internship for credit? 
Applying for an internship for credit must meet minimum criteria including being admitted to the Perdue School of Business, being at least a second semester junior, and completing some course pre-requisites, including BUAD 300.

For information on student requirements, read the internship checklist.

Can I complete an internship with my current employer?
No. An internship at an organization in which the student is currently working/interning or has previously worked/interned for is prohibited.

Can a current student student supervise my ABLE internship? 

No. A Current student, SU or otherwise, cannot supervise ABLE interns. 

Can I intern with or for family? 
No. Interning with/for family is prohibited. The supervisor cannot be related to the student in any way or be a close friend.

Can I be paid while receiving credit for an internship? 
Yes. Many companies do offer monetary compensation for an internship; however, your focus should be on securing an internship that best fits your career goals.

Can I enroll in a 490/491 internship if I have not been admitted to the Business Program? 
No. Only students who have been admitted to the Professional Program may participate.

Should I wait until my last semester to complete the ABLE internship requirement?

It is highly recommended students satisfy their internship requirement prior to their last semester. 

Can I take my internship during the winter semester? 
No. The 490 courses are not offered during the winter semester.

I have an employer/host in mind. What does my prospective supervisor need to do?

Familiarize yourself with the rules & policies.  Recommend the prospective supervisor review the employer related content on the ABLE website. Note: they do not need to submit an intern request form if they have already a student intern in mind. The form is for recruiting students only. Also, inform him/her that an email will be sent regarding the employer portion of the application. Be sure they are aware of our evaluation process as well.  Direct him/her to the ABLE office for additional assistance if needed.

Can I participate in commencement prior to completing the internship? 
Yes. Only if the internship will be completed during the summer semester. As stipulated on the Request to Participate in Commencement Prior to Completing Coursework“Undergraduate students who wish to participate in Commencement ceremonies must be registered for all courses necessary for completion of the degree during the semester in which they plan to take part in the ceremonies. Waivers to this policy may be granted only if the student can complete the degree requirements during Winter Term for December Commencement or Summer Term for May Commencement, is degree-seeking, and has a cumulative 2.0 GPA. Please note that only a maximum of 7 credits can be completed in Winter Term, and only a maximum of 9 credits can be completed in Summer Term. ” The request form to participate in Commencement can be found on the Registrar's website.
ABLE 490/491 courses are not offered during the winter term.

What do I need to know when completing my internship over the summer?

  • Enroll in Summer (once approved).
  • A bill will be generated for the 3-credit course.
  • The first 490 class meeting will be in May before the summer session officially begins.
  • Hours worked prior to the official start of the semester do not count towards the 100-hour requirement.
  • Given the summer sessions are condensed, it will not last the 10 required weeks. So, your internship will span over the course of the entire summer (Summer I and Summer II).
  • Because last 490 class meeting will be held during the fall semester, you may receive an "I" (Incomplete) at the end of Summer. Professors have until early to mid- October to change the “I” grade to the grade you actually earned.

What happens if a deadline is missed? 
Please contact your department chair.

What needs to be done to satisfy the ABLE requirement for a double major? 
Students are responsible for satisfying the requirements for both majors. Contact the ABLE office for further assistance.

What are the procedures to follow when an employer asks me to sign/complete paperwork? 
Please contact Dr. Tammy Donaway, A.B.L.E. Director,

Are there alternatives to taking the ABLE 490/491 course?

  • Students with Finance or Information Systems majors may elect to participate in an applied learning practicum or experiential course (either FINA 449 or INFO 476) to satisfy their applied learning requirement.
  • ACCT majors complete ACCT 407 and ACCT 497 which satisfies their ABLE requirement. Some ACCT majors choose to also complete a 490 course to accumulate enough credit hours to sit for the MD CPA Exam.

- Top -

Need help or have questions about this page? Please visit our Ask a Question or Report a Problem page.
Salisbury University 1101 Camden Avenue Salisbury, MD 21801 410-543-6000