ABLE For Employers
What should I expect when hosting an intern?
- Now: Wed Apr 15 12:54:24 EDT 2015
- Today: $today
- Apr 15, 2015 12:54:24 PM
- 4-15-2015 12:54 PM
- April 15, 2015 12:54:24 PM EDT
- Students apply to the ABLE program and are cleared academically to participate in an internship. During the work site internship experience, students must also complete a three credit hour internship class.
- Students entering internships do not always have professional work experience. You need to be willing to mentor students in professionalism, communication, and teamwork skills. Students may be unsure and will count on you to help them learn.
- Students may choose their internship from a database (Career Connections) of posted opportunities or students can create an internship experience using their own personal network. Internships registered with the ABLE Internship Program through the Perdue School of Business are posted on Career Connections for students to view and to apply.
- The selection of a student intern by a company will be very similar to the selection of an employee. Companies are encouraged to interview students and make an offer of an internship opportunity to the student of their choice.
- The ABLE program does not place students in internships. Students and organizations are encouraged to work together to develop an internship that best meets the needs of all involved. Students must find internships that are relevant to their individual majors.
- An email will be sent to prospective supervisors requesting they complete the employer portion of their student's internship application. The employer portion requires an electronic signature on the ABLE Internship Credit Agreement form and the student's learning goals. It's recommended you help students develop measurable goals for the internship. Also required is an appropriate job description which must be uploaded into the student's application. A job description template is also available.
- If you have questions or concerns about an intern at any time during an internship experience, please contact the ABLE Director and or the student's professor immediately. Often, concerns or problems can be resolved quickly through ABLE staff and faculty intervention and coaching.