From the Dean's Office
Greetings from the Dean’s Office. The New Year started with a bang … over 12 inches of snow coupled with a lot of ice. Hopefully, we’ve seen the worst of the weather challenges and can look forward to the warmer temperatures of spring.
We have a number of exciting events planned for this semester, including our Executive Leadership Series, our sales and entrepreneurship competitions, and several award ceremonies and honor society inductions. We look forward to welcoming Charlie Whalen back to campus as our Executive Leadership Series speaker. Charlies is vice president of enterprise applications for Exide Technologies and will speak about his career path and business experiences. We are excited to host our second Mid-Atlantic Sales and Marketing Institute (MASMI) Sales Championship May 3-4. During the two-day competition, students compete for cash prizes (and bragging rights) by showing off their sales skills to some of the area’s top sales professionals. They will also interact with our corporate partners and learn about formal dining during our Etiquette Dinner.
We also are excited to announce that the Phillp E. and Carole R. Ratcliffe Foundation will renew the $1,000,000 entrepreneurship grant, which allows the Perdue School to continue to host the Shore Hatchey entrepreneurship competitions for another five years. Thus far, winners of Shore Hatchery have successfully launched 39 businesses, employing 179 individuals and garnering over $4 million in revenue. We are thankful to the Ratcliffe Foundation for their generosity and continued support. This semester’s Shore Hatchery competition is Thursday, May 10.
Continuing with our tradition of entrepreneurship, we host our annual Student Entrepreneurship Competitions on Friday, May 11. We anticipate over 50 teams of students to pitch their ideas for a chance to win some $100,000 in cash and prizes. We invite you to join us for this incredible day to see our students in actions.
Below are just a few of the events and activities that take place during the spring semester in the Perdue School. We welcome you to join us and see our next generation of leaders in action.
Please also make note of the following important dates in the Perdue School:
- Perdue School Executive Advisory Council Business Leadership Award Luncheon – Friday, February 23
- Ethics Week – February 25-March 2
- Executive Leadership Speaker – Charlie Whalen, Vice President of Enterprise Applications, Exide Technologies – Tuesday, March 6
- Third Annual Student Fulbright Reception – Thursday, March 8
- MASMI Meet the Sponsors and Job Fair – Friday, March 9
- Beta Gamma Sigma Induction Ceremony – Friday, April 6
- Professional Development Week – April 9-13
- MASMI Etiquette Dinner – Thursday, May 3
- MASMI Sales Competition – Friday, May 4
- Shore Hatchery Competition – Thursday, May 10
- Entrepreneurship Competitions – Friday, May 11
- Accounting Awards Banquet – Friday, May 11
- Undergraduate Graduation – Thursday, May 24