SU Police Offer Winter Break Crime Prevention Tips
SALISBURY, MD---Many students will be away from their off-campus apartments/houses during Winter Break. In years past, some off-campus residences have been burglarized. The Salisbury University Police Department offers crime prevention tips to help students make their homes and themselves safer while away during the holidays:
- Before leaving, secure the residence.
- Have good locks on doors and windows and use them.
- Make sure the residence looks lived in, not empty.
- Leave curtains and blinds in a normal position.
- Ask a neighbor to watch the residence.
- Stop all mail and newspaper deliveries.
- Use timers to turn lights, a radio or television on and off.
- Turn the phone's ringer off or down.
- Do not announce an absence on your answering machine.
- Try to leave at least one vehicle in the driveway while gone.
- Take all valuables from the home.
- Ask the local police to check the home while away:
- Salisbury City Police: 410-548-3165
- Wicomico County Sheriff's Office: 410-548-4891
- Fruitland Police: 410-548-2804
On the road:
- Never carry large amounts of cash. Use travelers’ checks.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Be very careful with bus or airplane tickets; keep them secure.
- Be sure luggage is locked.
- Park in a well-lit area.
- Always keep vehicle doors locked.
- Check the back seat before entering the vehicle.
- Never hitchhike or pick up hitchhikers.
While staying at a hotel:
- Keep room keys or cards in a safe place.
- Request a key or card without the room number on it.
- Use the peephole to identify anyone requesting entry.
- Close all curtains while away from the room.
- Those feeling uneasy about going to the laundry or gym should have someone go with them or let the front desk know they are going.