Healthy U Hosts Health Expo at Barnes & Noble August 10
SALISBURY, MD---Community members are invited to learn more about important health topics at a Barnes & Noble Health Expo on Wednesday, August 10. Sponsored by Healthy U of Delmarva at Salisbury University, events are 9 a.m.–6 p.m. at Barnes & Noble (2618 North Salisbury Blvd).
Activities begin with a 9 a.m. walk led by Amy Waters, SU’s Healthy U coordinator. Talks include:
- “Stem Cells” with Dr. Tom Jones, professor emeritus of SU’s Biological Sciences Department, at 10 a.m.;
- “Maintaining a Healthy Weight” with Megan Maloney of SU’s Applied Health Physiology graduate program at 11 a.m.;
- “Breast Cancer and the BRCA1 Gene” with Carlos Mir of Women Supporting Women at noon;
- “Exercise and Dementia” with Sarah Doran of SU’s Applied Health Physiology graduate program at 1 p.m.;
- “Stress Management” with Brett Goldberger of Healthy U of Delmarva at 2 p.m.;
- “Sport Nutrition and Hydration” with Registered Dietitian Mike Kirtsos at 3 p.m.; and
- “Back-to-School Health Essentials for Children” with Pediatrician Maria Sophia Avendano-Welch at 4 p.m.
Also offered throughout the day are blood pressure checks, children’s activities and free gift drawings every hour. Activities conclude with a 5 p.m. walk led by Sherry Maykrantz, a graduate of SU’s Health and Sport Sciences Department.
For more information, call 410-742-9202 or visit the Healthy U of Delmarva Web site at www.healthyudelmarva.org.