Malone Church Register Donated to Nabb Research Center
(August 4, 2003)
SALISBURY, MD---The Edward H. Nabb Research Center for Delmarva History and Culture at Salisbury University recently received a late 1800s register from Malone Methodist Episcopal Church in Madison, MD.
Discovered by city workers in an abandoned house in Salisbury, the register from the historically African-American church serves as one of the only known population records from Maryland’s Eastern Shore during that time, as census records from 1890 were destroyed by fire.
Salisbury Department of Building, Housing and Zoning Director William T. Holland presented the register to Nabb Research Center Director Rebecca Miller on behalf of the city. The register will be scanned, enhanced and placed on public record at the center.
For more information call 410-543-6429 or visit the Nabb Research Center’s Web site at nabbhistory.salisbury.edu.