SALISBURY, MD---From the athletic fields to the stage, students share their talents with parents, siblings and other relatives during Salisbury University’s 2009 Family Weekend, Friday-Sunday, October 2-4.
An optional “family paddle” kayak tour of the Manokin River and Jones Creek, led by Stan Shedaker of Adrenaline High, Inc., launches Friday activities at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., with additional paddles Sunday at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Admission is $35 per person, and pre-registration is required. Call 410-749-2886 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also on Friday, the Family Weekend Showcase at 8 p.m. in Holloway Hall Auditorium features the SU Step Squad and Dance Company, and Untouchables Dance, Inc.
A tour of the Teacher Education and Technology Center kicks off Saturday’s activities at 10 a.m. Brunch with SU President Janet Dudley-Eshbach and the University’s vice presidents and deans follows from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. in the Commons. Admission is $10, $5 for children 6-12, free for children 5 and under. Students may use their meal plans to attend.
SU football takes on The Apprentice School of Newport News, VA, at 1 p.m. at Sea Gull Stadium. Admission is $5, $3 for non-SU students, $2 for children ages 12 and under. SU ID holders receive one ticket free.
SU’s Parent and Family Association hosts a post-game reception at 4 p.m. Saturday on the Henson Science Hall Lawn, priming taste buds for Dining Services’ annual Recipes From Home Dinner 5-7:30 p.m. at the Commons.
During dinner, the SU Theatre Department presents a performance of Jeff Stetson's award-winning play The Meeting, which explores the notion of what would have happened had Malcolm X met with Martin Luther King Jr. in a Harlem hotel room on Valentine's Day 1965. Admission to the dinner, featuring recipes submitted by students’ families, is $10.36, $6.30 for children 6-12, free for children 5 and under.
Saturday events conclude with a demonstration by mentalist duo The Evansons at 8 p.m. in Holloway Hall Auditorium
Sunday activities begin with the annual Family Weekend Challenge, a parent-student golf outing 10 a.m. at Nutters Crossing Golf Course. Registration is $75 per two-person team, and pre-registration is required. To register visit http://salisbury.yourmembership.com/events/event_details.asp?id=71724. A jazz brunch featuring the band Slim DeNunn and the High Rollers is 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Sunday in the Commons. Admission is $8.32, $4.29 for children 6-12, free for children 5 and under.
Other Family Weekend activities include:
Friday, October 2
• 9 a.m.-2 p.m. – Open classrooms
• 7 p.m. – Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen screening, Caruthers Hall Auditorium
Saturday, October 3
• 9 a.m. – Legacy breakfast (invitation only), Alumni House
• 9 a.m. – Study abroad presentation, Nanticoke Room, Guerrieri University Center
• 10 a.m. – “What Employers Expect From Your Son or Daughter,” , Career Services Office , Guerrieri University Center
• 10 a.m. – SU master plan update, Center for Student Achievement, Guerrieri University Center
• 11 a.m. – “The Wide World of Financial Aid and What It Means to You,” Nanticoke Room, Guerrieri University Center
• 2 & 7 p.m. – Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen screening, Caruthers Hall Auditorium
Sunday, October 4
• 1-3 p.m. – Free admission and demonstrations at SU’s Ward Museum of Wildfowl Art
• 7 p.m. – Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen screening, Holloway Hall Auditorium
In addition, the Family Weekend Information Center is open 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday and 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday at the Information Desk of the Guerrieri University Center. The SU Bookstore is open 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday.
Events are free unless otherwise noted. For more information call 410-543-6080 or visit the Family Weekend Web site at www.salisbury.edu/parents/familyweekend.