SALISBURY, MD---Whether you are a nature lover interested in regional plants and birds or an avid cook always seeking innovative recipes, Salisbury University offers an interesting lifelong learning opportunity.
Come explore these topics, and more, during the latest series of “Learn with SU” classes, offered on campus and at locations in the Maryland and Delaware beach communities.
From an exploration of Captain John Smith’s Chesapeake Bay adventures to the basics of making good investments, SU explores subjects that are of interest to individuals age 50 and over during this highly popular series. It began last spring, following a well-received pilot program.
The 11 new “Learn with SU” sessions include:
Soak up the last rays of summer sun with a stained glass sun catcher you create during a two-hour workshop with SU staff member Carolyn Adkins. Learn the copper foil technique of stained glass. Beginners are welcome! Admission is $20 per person, with a limit of six participants in each session. Presentations are:
• Monday, September 10, at 3 p.m.
• Monday, November 5, at 3 p.m.
*Both classes are at the Scarborough Student Leadership Center, SU campus
“Birds of Delmarva”
Just glance out the window and the plethora of birds on Delmarva is obvious. Dr. Ellen Lawler of SU’s Biology Department talks about some of the most common species, as well as their habitats and ecology. Get tips on local bird-watching hot spots, too! The presentation is:
• Thursday, September 13, at 11 a.m. – Scarborough Student Leadership Center, SU campus
“Coastal Living Safety”
Chief William Boyden of the Fenwick Island Police Department shares safety tips for residents. The presentation is:
• Thursday, September 20, at 2 p.m. – Bethany-Fenwick Chamber of Commerce, 36913 Coastal Highway, Fenwick Island, DE
“The Fun in Cooking”
See a cooking demonstration by SU alumnus Pete Roskovich, owner of Black Diamond Catering. Learn new recipes and enjoy a sampling of delectable dishes! Admission is $5 per person, with a limit of 10 participants. To RSVP, call 410-677-5416. The presentation is:
• Tuesday, October 2, at 2 p.m. – Commons Kitchen, SU Campus
“Flexibility & Strength”
Get your heart pumping and muscles moving during this five session low-impact exercise series, led by SU staff member Amy Waters. Admission is $15 per person (includes a resistance band). Presentations are:
• Every Tuesday in October at 9:30 a.m. – CHEER Center, 30637 Cedar Neck Road, Ocean View, DE
“University Arboretum Tour”
Take a walking tour of campus with SU horticulturalists Kimberly Wharton and William Lowery. They show off the many species of woody and herbaceous plants found on campus, which has national arboretum status. Wear comfortable shoes. The presentation is:
• Wednesday, October 17, at 10 a.m. – Alumni House Garden, SU campus
“Art of Pairing Beer with Cheese”
Sample and discuss five beers and complementary gourmet cheeses with SU alumnus Nick “The Baltimore Beer trekker” Nichols. Admission is $10 per person. Presentations are:
• Friday, October 26, at 3 p.m. – Methodist Manor House, 1001 Middleford Road, Seaford, DE (RSVP to Dixie Carlisle 302-628-5631)
• Saturday, October 27, at 2 p.m. – Bethany-Fenwick Chamber of Commerce, 36913 Coastal Highway, Fenwick Island, DE
Navigating financial decisions can be tough, at any age. Dr. Tylor Claggett of SU’s Economics and Finance Department discusses the basics of making good investments. The presentation is:
• Thursday, November 1, at 11 a.m. – Scarborough Student Leadership Center, SU campus
“Captain John Smith and His Chesapeake Bay Explorations in 1608”
Not only did this famed explorer travel the Chesapeake Bay, he also ventured up local tributaries. Dr. Michael Scott of SU’s Geography and Geosciences Department discusses Smith’s journey, which he has re-mapped using modern geographic information system technology. Presentations are:
• Wednesday, November 7, at 2:30 p.m. – CHEER Center, 30637 Cedar Neck Road, Ocean View, DE
• Wednesday, November 14, at 10 a.m. – Scarborough Student Leadership Center, SU campus
“Holiday Decorating Using Your Own Backyard”
Following her successful May presentation on the secrets of spring flower arrangements, Theresa Pyle, owner of Blossoms, Inc., returns with tips for designing beautiful holiday arrangements – right from your own backyard! Admission is $10 per person. The presentation is:
• Wednesday, November 14, at 2 p.m. – Bethany-Fenwick Chamber of Commerce, 36913 Coastal Highway, Fenwick Island, DE
“Social Security Basics”
Are you a retiree or someone nearing retirement with questions about social security? Dr. Tylor Claggett of SU’s Economics and Finance Department provides the basics. The presentation is:
• Thursday, November 15, at 1 p.m. – Worcester County Library, Ocean Pines Branch, 11107 Cathell Road, Ocean Pines, MD
All classes are free unless otherwise noted. To register call Amy Waters, SU director of leadership giving and stewardship, at 410-677-5416, or e-mail email@example.com.
For more information about the classes or an annual membership visit the “Learn with SU” Web site at www.salisbury.edu/lifelonglearning.