Center for International Education


Holloway Hall
Salisbury University - Center for International Education
Immigration Advising

J-1 Visa Status


Professor employment

Professors or Research Scholars are permitted to work as described on the Form DS-2019 and may accept additional employment as authorized by the sponsor in accordance with the regulations.

Professors may also engage in activities that constitute occasional lectures or consultations, with prior written authorization from the RO/ARO.  The occasional lectures or short-term consultations must:

  • Be directly related to the objectives of the exchange visitor's program;

  • Be incidental to the exchange visitor's primary program activities;

  • Not delay the completion date of the visitor's program; and

  • Be documented in SEVIS.

  • If wages or other remuneration are involved the Exchange Visitor must present to the RO or ARO:
    • A letter from the offer or setting forth the terms and conditions of the offer to lecture or consult including the duration, number of hours, field or subject, amount of compensation, and description of such activity; and
    • A letter from his or her department head or supervisor recommending such activity and explaining how it would enhance the exchange visitor's program.

The Exchange Visitors must follow any existing regulations for signing contracts, filling out I-9 forms etc., and are responsible for any tax payments.

To request authorization for additional employment, please fill out the J-1 Additional Employment Request Form.