About the English Language Institute
The mission of the English Language
Institute (ELI) at Salisbury University is to offer a
high-quality, comprehensive, intensive program in the English
language for non-native speakers. This program provides English
language instruction on all levels, preparation for
international students seeking entrance to an American
university and bridge academic support for students who wish to
fully enroll in a degree-seeking program at Salisbury
University. It also facilitates participants' successful
cultural adjustment to the classroom, as well as to the general
environment of an American college. Salisbury University has a
strong institutional commitment to inclusiveness, excellence,
and diversity that is manifested in the English Language
- Small class sizes
- Classes for multiple levels of
current English proficiency
- Experienced instructors
- Immersion into American culture
- Dual enrollment study with Salisbury
University and ELI, if qualified
- Extracurricular activities and trips
At SUELI, we are committed to helping our students maximize
the benefit from their learning experience at ELI. Our
ultimate goal is to make sure every one of the students who
come to our programs will be able to have a “soft landing”
at their prospective major areas of study while learning
English language. To that end, our curriculum is designed to
offer training programs consisting of three components:
language acquisition, culturalization, and academic
adaptation. Specifically, through the SUELI programs, you
will have the opportunity to
- Select programs that vary from 7-14 weeks in length.
- Take classes in reading, writing, grammar,
listening/speaking both for academic and social
- Prepare for the Test of English as a Foreign Language
(TOEFL), and pronunciation.
- Choose electives, such as Business English, Conversation
Strategies, US Culture, at advanced levels when enrollment
- Start at your own level in each skill, whether beginning,
intermediate, or advanced.
- Progress to a higher level at the end of each session.
- Learn from highly qualified instructors. Our excellently
trained teachers are our biggest strength.
- Study in small classes with a maximum number of 12 students.
- Learn how to get adjusted to application of ICTs to your
college life, including word processing, PPT, and Internet
usage in upper level reading/writing classes and other
selected speaking classes.
- Discuss within small groups about the topics of your own
- Periodically sit in the class of your academic
interest/invite faculty members from individual academic
programs to give lectures
Currently, we have students from China, Korea, Gabon, Sudan,
Saudi Arabia. We have more applicants from Russia,
Thailand, and South America. This mix of nationalities
provides our students with increased opportunity to use
English in all activities. Most of the students in the ELI
are studying English in order to enter a college or
university in the United States. Here are some of
testimonials from our current ELI students about their
experience at SU ELI.
Students who want to study in the ELI must
- have at least a tourist knowledge of English
- be at least 17 years old
- have completed at least secondary school in their country.
The Use of English at Our Institute
At SUELI, we expect everyone in class to use English in all
communication among students as well as between students and
employees. While we respect your own native languages and
cultures, we do strongly uphold the above mentioned policy
of the English Language Institute and we assume that, by
applying for admission, you accept our rule on the use of