1. When a Turnitin Assignment is created in MyClasses, there are two different setting areas for the assignment, the assignment settings in MyClasses and the assignment settings in Turnitin.
2. In the process of creating a Turnitin assignment in MyClasses, if you don't enter any dates in the "Assign" settings section, Turnitin will automatically set dates in the Turnitin settings area. In this case the date settings in the Turnitin side will be:
3. On the other hand, If you enter dates in the Turnitin assignment settings in MyClasses, the date settings you enter in the assignment settings in MyClasses will be transferred to the Turnitin assignment settings in the following manner:
4. Changes made to the "Available from:" and Due: dates in MyClasses will be synced with the Start and Due dates in Turnitin.
5. The "Until" date in MyClasses is not linked to and will not affect any dates in Turnitin.
6. The Feedback Release Date in Turnitin is not linked to any dates in MyClasses and it must be after the start date.
7. When a Turnitin assignment is copied from a previous semester course to the current semester, assignment's dates in the Turnitin side is automatically updated based on the date on which you copied the assignment.
There are three common Turnitin errors users might experience when trying to access Turnitin assignments. Click the error number tab to review what does the error looks like and how to fix the error.
Instructor creates and publishes a new Turnitin assignment in a course. The instructor did not load the assignment in Turnitin.
The assignment is not active and students will receive the following error when trying to access the Turnitin Assignment in MyClasses.
Turnitin assignments are created using an external tool in MyClasses. This external tool establishes a link between the course in MyClasses and Turnitin.com. Instructors using Turnitin assignments must activate each Turnitin assignment created in MyClasses to ensure that the link is established for students to be able to access and submit the assignment.
To resolve this issue, instructors must complete the following steps to view and activate the assignment:
New Turnitin assignment is created or copied from an old course with NO dates entered in the MyClasses assignment settings.
(Note: the dates in Turnitin side are automatically set based on the date on which the assignment was created or copied)
The instructor changes the assignment's date settings in MyClasses, adding Due, Available from and Until dates without checking the assignment's date settings in Turnitin. The dates entered in MyClasses are synced with the Turnitin dates.
If the Available from date entered in MyClasses is set to a date that is after the Turnitin "Feedback release date" (aka post date), users will receive the following error:
The Turnitin "Feedback release date" is not linked to any dates in MyClasses and was not updated by entering dates in MyClasses.
To Resolve this issue:
1. Go back to the assignment in MyClasses
2. Click Edit Assignments Settings
3. Remove the "Available From" Date
Now go to the Turnitin Assignment settings:
1. Load the assignment in a new tab
2. Click Settings
3. Change the "Feedback Release" Date to a date that is after the desired "Available From" Date
4. Now go back to MyClasses and re-enter the "Available From" Date
An instructor copies an old Turnitin assignment with old dates in the assignment's settings in MyClasses. The instructor did not remove the old dates in MyClasses.
Users will receive the following error when trying to access the assignment:
The assignment's date settings in Turnitin are automatically updated based on the date on which the assignment was copied. Since the instructor did not update the assignment's date settings in MyClasses, there is a conflict between the date settings in MyClasses and in Turnitin.
This video looks at three common Turnitin error messages and how to fix these errors.