Windows XP and Office 2013 End of Support 4/8/2014 - Upgrade Needed
Summary: Microsoft is ending support for Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2003 products on April 8, 2014. Upgrades for both will be needed.
Microsoft has ended support for its Windows XP operating system and all Microsoft Office 2003 products (including FrontPage 2003) on April 8th, 2014. As a result, Microsoft will no longer send security updates, security patches, or provide technical support for Windows XP or Office 2003. Without security updates, these products present a significant security risk to the University if used beyond April 2014.
Given the conditions described above, Salisbury University Information Technology will no longer be able to support Windows XP or Office 2003 computer users after May 30th. More precisely, the IT Department will not be able to do the following:
- Install or re-install the software on SU computers;
- Troubleshoot issues except to the extent of finding a solution for software to be migrated to a newer version of Windows;
- Allow SU faculty, staff, or lab computers using these versions of software to access the SU network or internet;
- At this time student and guests will still be allowed to connect to the SU network, however, will do so in a reduced capacity to mitigate the security risk to the University. As of September 1st, 2014 students and guests will be unable to access the SU network with their Windows XP computers.
- If you are using a Windows computer and still have Office 2003, IT asks that you contact the IT Help Desk so that we can assist you to upgrade to Office 2010.
- If you are using FrontPage 2003, the Web Office asks that you install SharePoint Designer 2007 as a replacement. Faculty and staff using Expression Web can continue to use this to develop and edit web pages. SharePoint Designer 2007 can be installed from your SU computer on the SU network using Software Center, our self-service software delivery system. See this document for instructions on installing software using the Software Center’s application catalog from your Windows computer.
- If you or your department have any computers/laptops with Windows XP, we ask that you contact the IT Help Desk as soon as possible so we can investigate the possibility of updating these devices with a newer version of the Windows operating system.
- If you have software that the vendor indicates works with Windows XP, but will not work on newer versions of Windows, please contact the IT Help Desk at ext. 75454 so that we can investigate a work-around solution.
Main contact: IT Help Desk
Affected users: Windows XP and Office 2003 users on SU-owned campus PCs and laptops.
Entry Created: Wednesday, March 26, 2014