Information Technology Guides and Instructions
This page contains guides and instructions for frequently used technology services, organized by subject. If you don't see a guide on a particular subject and would like to see one created, you may request one by submitting a ticket at http://support.salisbury.edu, and we'll do our best to try to provide those instructions for you.
All guides are in Adobe Acrobat PDF format unless otherwise noted. Click on the topic heading to view guides for that topic.
General Account Info
- Account Creation Process for Faculty, Staff and Student Workers
- Name Change Request Process
- Account Lifecycles - Gaining and Losing Access Guide
- Resetting Your Password - a guide to managing your password.
- Requesting a Guest Account
- Working with Network Drives - About network drives, drive mappings and personal web space.
- Faculty and Staff
- Student Organizations
- Student Organization accounts are requested and managed by Student Activities: http://www.salisbury.edu/saol/
- Operating Systems
- Installing Software from the Software Center - How to install software onto your SU-owned campus PC using our on-campus software delivery system for Faculty and Staff.
- Using the Application Catalog and Software Center - a more detailed guide on the on-campus software delivery system.
- Suggested Apps for iOS Devices - iPads, iPhones, iPod Touch
- Using Skype
- Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2007
- Installing Microsoft Office Communicator 2007
- Installing Mathematica for Students
- Office 2010
- Using Word 2010
- Using Excel 2010
- Using PowerPoint 2010
- Using Access 2010
- Using Publisher 2010
- Password Protect Your Files in Microsoft Office
- Performing Mail Merges with Word
- Creating a Letterhead Using Macros in Word 2010
- Default File Locations
- FrontPage to Expression Web - from Microsoft
- Insert YouTube Videos in PowerPoint
- Office 2011 for Macintosh
- Office 2013
- Office 365
- General Email Guides
- Student Email (Office 365)
- Faculty and Staff Email
- Archiving: Using Enterprise Vault
- Outlook 2010: Guide to Shared Accounts, Mailboxes and Calendars
- Video: Sharing Exchange Mailbox Folders - This YouTube video does a good job of showing exactly what you need to do to share a folder or contact list with someone else using Outlook 2010, as well as what the recipient needs to do to add your shared folder to their Outlook display. Be aware though that the narrator goes through the material very quickly.
- Video: Setting Calendar Permissions in Outlook 2010 - This YouTube video covers how to use Calendar Permissions to share a calendar with another user in Outlook 2010.
- Video: Opening a Shared Calendar in Outlook 2010 - This YouTube video covers how to open a calendar that has been shared with you within Outlook 2010.
- Outlook 2010: Creating Student Email Distribution Lists Using GullNet
- Using Outlook 2011 for Mac
- iPad Setup
- iPhone Setup
- Windows 8 Setup
- Android, Kindle, Nook and Blackberry Setup
- Faculty and Staff
- Course Evaluations - web page
- Faculty Resources for Course Evaluations
- Running the Course Evaluation Report - Faculty
- Fixing "Access is Denied" Errors in Internet Explorer
- Fixing Spinning Wheel Errors (Search Committee Screen, etc.)
- How To Guide - Faculty
- Accessing Rosters and Grades for Faculty
- Timesheet Procedures - from the Payroll Office
- General Guides
- Help Desk Student Employment
- SU Acceptable Use Policy
- SU Email Acceptable Use Policy
- Security Agreement
- Safeguards for Dealing with Sensitive Information
- University System of Maryland Records Retention Standards
- Guide to using the SU Temporary Faculty Member Contract Template
- General Guides
- Gaming Consoles, Smart TVs and Other Network Devices
- Wireless Configuration
- Troubleshooting and Security
- How to Release and Renew an IP Address
- Clearing your Cache Guide
- Security zones: adding or removing websites - this page from Microsoft shows how to add or remove websites to different security zones. These instructions can be used to show how to add an SU website to the Trusted security zone. This is for Internet Explorer only.
- Malware/Spyware Prevention Guide
- Mobile Security Guide
- Mobile Security Tips - guide from stopthinkconnect.org
- Safe Computing Tips - guide from stopthinkconnect.org
- Use Your Class Schedule in GullNet to Open MyClasses for your Course
- Uninstall Security Update for Windows KB2909921 - This fixes an issue with Internet Explorer 11 users who find that their browser crashes or freezes when trying to access MyClasses content after the security update.
- Disaster Recovery Guides
Parents and Visitors
- General Guides
- Orientation 101 Guides
Orientation 101 Portfolio - A collection of
all the guides used during the Orientation 101 presentation
for parents, listed individually below. This requires
Acrobat Reader and may also require an
- Information Technology Brochure - A thin brochure that lists many of the services provided to the University by Information Technology.
- Suggested Computer Specifications - A guide that helps the reader to determine what devices to bring and what not to bring to campus.
- Guide to University Student Accounts - A guide that covers the accounts that students receive when they attend SU and what those accounts provide.
- GullNet How To Guide - A guide covering the basic tasks a typical student might need to perform within GullNet, such as checking grades and adding or dropping classes.
- Configure Your Computer For SU Wireless - A guide to help you use our connection wizard to configure your computer to use SU_Secure, our SU Wireless network.
- Lab Locations - A map and listing of our IT computer labs and locations.
- MEEC Agreement Software Discounts - A guide that covers our MEEC agreement and the software discounts it provides.
- University Police Computer Engraving - A link to the University Police site, which provides engraving and computer registration for theft prevention.
- Printing in IT Computer Labs
- How to Print Single Sided - Many of our labs are set to print double-sided by default.
- How to Release a Print Job using GoPrint - All of your printouts in IT Computer Labs are released at a GoPrint Release Station.
- Printing Multiple PowerPoint Slides on a Single Page using PowerPoint 2010 - Print multiple slides on one page to save paper and your print quota.
- Printing Multiple PowerPoint Slides on a Single Page using PowerPoint 2011 for Macintosh - Print multiple slides on one page to save paper.
- Mobile Printing
- Responsible Printing
- SU Students: Think Before You Print! - See how much paper SU students print in one school year.
- Poster Printing
- Departmental Printing
Rooms and Lab Spaces
- Computer Lab Locations
- Lab Rules
- Lab Software Configuration
- How to Reserve A Lab
- Computer Lab Security
- Scanning in an IT Computer Lab
- Useful Links - guides, web pages and support sites that are not part of the Information Technology website.