Research at Salisbury University
- Now: Wed Jul 29 15:07:37 EDT 2015
- Today: $today
- Jul 29, 2015 3:07:37 PM
- 7-29-2015 03:07 PM
- July 29, 2015 3:07:37 PM EDT
University Student Academic Research Award (USARA)
Guidelines for University Student Academic Research Awards
USARA Grants are awarded twice during each academic year. The deadline is the fourth Friday of the semester.
Spring 2015 Submissions:
- The University Student Academic Research Award (USARA) Committee will be accepting applications from now until February 20, 2015 at 5pm.
- Research grants, up to $500, are available to help support undergraduate research endeavors related to developing and conducting research, with a faculty supervisor, and the presentation of research/scholarly pursuits at meetings. Students should not request funding in excess of the grant awards. NOTE: Students working on a joint project must each submit an independent application, written entirely in their own words, to clearly identify their own distinct contributions.
- In any given semester, a student should make only one application for funding. A student may be funded only twice in their academic career.
- Students must have a declared major and be enrolled as a full-time student (minimum of 12 credit hours) or a part-time student (minimum of six credit hours) during the project’s duration.
- Proposals involving live animals or human subjects must be approved by the University’s Animal Care and Use Committee or Institutional Review Board-Committee on Human Research. No funds will be provided to awardees without written approval from the appropriate compliance committee.
- Grants may be requested for the following expenses:
- Equipment and supplies. Purchased items will be assigned to the University at the end of the project.
- Travel to present research or academic projects at professional meetings.
*NOTE: USARA funds may not be used for the following: SU Student Research Conference or conferences occuring after graduation.
*NOTE: The USARA Committee must receive confirmation of conference
acceptance before funds will be approved for reimbursement.
- Photocopying, photography and preparation of slides or overheads for
- Second semester seniors are not funded for equipment and supplies without
a presentation of the research or project scheduled at a regional or national
conference prior to graduation.
- Awards are made on the merits of the proposal. Incomplete applications
will not be reviewed.
- All monies must be spent by the last week of the following semester. For spring allocations, all monies must be spent by the last week of the fall semester. For fall allocations, money must be spent by the last week of the spring semester. Unspent
money by the grant’s ending date will revert to the University. Checks must be returned to the Office of Graduate Studies and Research.
- A final report of research activities and a completed expense statement
must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies and Research by the end
of the project period as determined in number (8).
- Top -
USARA Committee Members
Patti Erickson – Chair
- Top -
A description of what must be included in each USARA grant application is listed below. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Complete the following forms online and submit as a package
with numbers 2 and 3 below.
- USARA Student Grant Application
- Itemized Budget Request
- Out-of-State Travel Request (as appropriate)
For research proposals, provide a formal description of your research project,
including your expected sample and methodology in two to four typed, double-spaced pages. Also, include your results and conclusions if your research is complete and funds are being sought for conference presentation.
For proposals related to the presentation of other scholarly pursuits, in two
to four typed, double-spaced pages, please describe the process used to develop your scholarship, including the nature of the scholarship, influences, and its potential contribution to your field of study.
For all proposals, specifically identify the activities that will be carried out with the
help of the grant, discuss how the funds will be used.
- Faculty Supporting Letter
Include a letter endorsing your research and request for funds from a faculty member
who has been directly supervising your work.
This letter should be an overall assessment of your
research and speak to the strength of the project.
- Send the original packet of all application materials (application, budget request,
Out-of-State Travel form, proposal, faculty support letter)by February 20, 2015 at 5pm, via e-mail to email@example.com (Donna Knopf, Office of Graduate Studies and Research)
- Top -
UNIVERSITY STUDENT ACADEMIC RESEARCH AWARD
FINAL REPORT SUBMISSION PROCEDURES
A final report detailing the activities carried out with the assistance of the grant along with a complete list of itemized expenses is required. Instructions for compiling the final report are listed below.
The final report shall include:
- A typed, formal description of all research activities. For travel funds,describe the conference attended along with an account of yourpresentation. For equipment funds, describe the research youconducted along with what you gained from it.
- A completed Itemized Expenditures form.
- All receipts related to research and travel expenses.
Submit the final report (formal description of research/travel, Itemized Expenditures form,
and receipts) to the Office of Graduate Studies and Research, c/o Donna Knopf, Holloway
Hall 264 by the end of the term in which the grant was awarded.
IMPORTANT: If the final report and expense statement is not submitted, with receipts attached, Financial Services will be notified. This will mean that student grades will not be posted, you will be precluded from registration/graduation and you will be required to reimburse the money before the Financial Services flag is removed.
- Top -
CONTACT FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS AND INQUIRIES:
Office of Graduate Studies and Research
Holloway Hall 264
(410) 548-3549 or ext 83549
Application Deadline: February 20, 2015 - 5:00 pm
- Top -