Fiscal Grants Management &
II. Quick Guide for Grant/Contract Award Management
- Upon receipt of a signed notice or grant/contract award, the
GSR-FGMO must obtain approval from the Vice-President of
Administration & Finance to accept the award.
- Once approvals are in place, the GSR-FGMO proceeds to setup
the award, internally, by reviewing the award and its budget,
reviewing the awards stated terms and conditions, completing
necessary steps for file/budget setup and then having a project
number assigned by the General Accounting Office.
- Once the project number has been assigned, the
notify the project administrator/investigator (PA or PI) to
schedule a required grant/contract entrance setup meeting to
discuss terms and conditions, budget, reporting and allowable
costs. No expenses shall occur on the new project until the
PA/PI has met with the GSR-FGMO.
- All requests for expending project funds must be submitted to
the GSR-FGMO for approval.
- The GSR-FGMO will forward approved project requisitions, work
orders, employment and consulting contracts to the proper
department for processing.
- The GSR-FGMO maintains an internal excel ‘shadow’ spreadsheet
on each of its projects and records every transaction being
approved by this office as a paper obligation (before it is
actually expended on PeopleSoft Financials).
- PeopleSoft Financials (n-Vision reports) and internal shadow
spreadsheets are reconciled monthly and copies e-mailed to the
- Financial reporting to the sponsor for grant/contract projects are prepared,
completed, approved and mailed to the sponsor, by the GSR-FGMO.
- Programmatic reporting for grant/contract projects are
completed by the project administrator (PA/PI) and can be
submitted separately or with the financials.
- Copies of all submitted reports must be maintained in the
grant/contract files located in the GSR-FGMO for required
retention and audit purposes.
- It is the policy of this university to submit required reports
on or before the required sponsor deadline.
- The P/A or P/I are responsible for the management and conduct
of the research activities, including technical reporting
- All technical (programmatic) reports and project deliverables
are the full responsibility of the P/A or P/I.
- The P/A or P/I should initiate correspondence with the
sponsor’s administrative or program manager to investigate
possible programmatic or
budgetary changes. In all cases, the PI or PA should be
familiar with the award terms and conditions.
- All requests for budgetary changes must be submitted through
the GSR-FGMO for approval before submission to the sponsor.