Skip to Main Content
Salisbury University BW
A Maryland University of National Distinction
navigation icon opens header SALISBURY UNIVERSITY

Annual Giving
navigation icon opens menu

Ways of Making a Gift


The most common and simplest form of planned giving, a bequest is a gift that is made through a donor’s will. Individuals may include Salisbury University in their wills by naming SU for either a specific amount or a percent share of their estate. Donors can also name SU as the residual beneficiary of their estates after payment of bequests to others.

Benefits of making a bequest gift include the fact that donors do not have to part with any money until they  pass away, and do not owe any estate tax on the amount of the bequest.

For more information on making a bequest gift to Salisbury University, please contact the Salisbury University  Foundation O ffice at (410) 543-6 176.

back to the top

Cash, Check or Credit Card Donations

The most popular and easiest way to make a donation to the Salisbury University Annual Fund is by cash or check made payable to the  Salisbury University Foundation, Inc.

The Salisbury University Foundation's Office of Gift Processing will gladly accept cash gifts. However, we do not recommend sending cash via any postal service or courier.

To make a donation using cash, please bring it directly to the Foundation Office at 1308 Camden Avenue, Salisbury, Maryland 2180 2 during regular business hours . (Monday-Friday. 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)

To pay by credit card, use our  secure online payment form.  Click here  online payment form.  We honor Visa, Master Card, and American Express.

When paying by check, regardless of the designation of your donation, please make the check payable to:  Salisbury University Foundation, Inc. If possible, include a completed donor card instructing us where you would like to designate your donation. Otherwise, if you do not have a donor card, in the "memo" section of your check write the area or designation of your gift. Then, mail your donation to:

Salisbury University Foundation, Inc.
PO Box 2655
Salisbury, Maryland 2180 2

Special Note: To make a memorial or honorary gift by cash or check, first, follow the instructions above. Second, attach a note that includes the name of the person you are memorializing or honoring, and the family's contact name and address (for memorials) or the individual's name and address (for honorary gifts). We will be sure the family/individual is notified of your thoughtfulness.

back to the top

Charitable Lead Trusts

Charitable Lead Trusts are most appealing to individuals who want to pass appreciated assets to their heirs without paying a substantial amount in taxes. This is done by allowing the Salisbury University Foundation to receive income from the donor’s assets for a specified time during which the donor can receive substantial tax benefits, after which the asset is transferred back to the donor or to the donor’s heirs.

The donor does pay a gift tax on the asset when it is placed into the trust, after which it can grow tax-free. A lead trust can, however, reduce gift and estate taxes or provide a charitable deduction for the donor.

For more information on Charitable Lead Trusts, please contact the  Executive DirectorSalisbury University Foundation at (410) 546-6939.

back to the top

Charitable Remainder Trusts

Two basic types of charitable remainder trusts qualify for federal tax benefits. In both arrangements, a donor irrevocably gives stock, cash, or other assets to a trust naming the Salisbury University Foundation, Inc. as the beneficiary . Those assets are invested, producing income for the donor - or other beneficiary - either for a fixed period of time or until the donor passes away. The donor is allowed to claim a tax deduction for the estimated portion of the assets that will ultimately come to Salisbury University. When the donor  passes away, SU receives all remaining trust assets.

The two types of remainder trusts are Unitrusts and Annuity Trusts. Under a basic Unitrust, the donor receives one or more yearly payments equaling a fixed percentage of the value of the asset, which is assessed each year. Under an Annuity Trust, the donor receives a yearly fixed payment equaling at least 5% of the value of the asset at the time the deferred-giving agreement was signed.

For more information on Charitable Remainder Trusts, please contact the  Executive Director, Salisbury University Foundation at (410) 546-6939.

back to the top

Gift Annuities

The gift annuity agreement provides older donors who give cash, securities, real estate, or personal property with fixed annual payments for a specified period of time, usually for life. With a deferred gift annuity, the annual payments do not start when the gift is made but begin at a later time specified by the donor.

Gift annuities are attractive to donors who want to receive income from assets that have risen sharply in value, such as cash or stocks. In return for gifts of such assets, SU guarantees the donor a fixed annual income for the rest of their lives and helps the donor avoid capital-gains tax. The donor also gets an income-tax break on a portion of the earnings from an annuity; the exact amount depends on the donor’s age  and cost basis of the donor's stock.

For more information on Gift Annuities, please contact the  Executive Director, Salisbury University Foundation at (410) 546-6939.

back to the top

Life Insurance

back to the top

Personal Property or Real Estate Donations

Salisbury University gladly accepts gifts of tangible personal property that the University would otherwise need to purchase, or that further the endeavors of the University.

While the University is grateful for every donor’s intent to give, some personal property donations must be approved by the Salisbury University Foundation, Inc.   If you are interested in donating any item to SU, please contact the Salisbury University Foundation at (410) 543-6176. We will give you instructions on how to make your gift and/or if the gift will need prior approval.

To donate a gift of real estate, please contact the  Executive Director, Salisbury University Foundation at (410) 546-6939.

back to the top

Stock or Securities

There are several ways to transfer securities to Salisbury University Foundation, Inc.: Electronic Transfer, Mailing Certificates, or Hand Delivery. For information regarding the valuation of stocks and bonds or gift crediting, please contact Salisbury University Foundation Accounting Office at (410) 543-6392.

Electronic Transfer:
The most popular and most efficient way to transfer securities to SU Foundation is by electronic transfer. This is done through a free delivery which simply means that SU gets 100% of the value of the transfer versus the broker receiving a portion in commissions.

If your stock is held at a broker, notify the broker that you wish to make a gift of securities to Salisbury University Foundation. Your broker will need written authorization from you before they can make the transfer. Be sure to tell them the name of the stock that you want to transfer, the number of shares, and where you would like your gift to be designated when it reaches the SU Foundation account.

Once you have authorized the transfer, ask your broker to contact the Salisbury University Foundation Accounting Office at 410-543-6392. Our office will give your broker complete transfer instructions.

Even if you have donated securities in the past, be sure your broker contacts the Salisbury University Foundation Accounting Office BEFORE the transfer is made. The transfer instructions can change from year to year. A quick phone call from your broker to verify the current instructions will prevent any transfer problems.
Mailing Stock Certificates: 
If your securities are not held at a broker (see Electronic Transfer if they are) then you can either mail or hand deliver the certificates directly to the Salisbury University Foundation Accounting Office.

If mailing, send your unendorsed certificate(s) and a cover letter (including your name, address, and purpose of the gift) in one envelope.  In a second envelope, send a signed, signature guaranteed, stock power. We strongly recommend using registered mail to forward your certificates and stock power. A stock power form can be obtained at your local bank or by calling the Salisbury University Foundation Accounting Office at 410-543-6392.

Hand Delivery:
Certificates may be given to a University Advancement staff person or delivered to the Salisbury University Foundation Accounting Office.

Please DO NOT mail endorsed certificates! Once the certificate is endorsed, it is legal tender and can be exchanged by anyone.

It is strongly recommended that certificates not be sent to a transfer agent for registering in the University’s name. This procedure is unnecessary and results in needless delays of the transfer.

Our mailing address is:
Salisbury University Foundation, Inc.
Accounting Office
P.O. Box 2655
Salisbury, Maryland 21802
Tel (410) 543-6392
Fax (410) 677-5039

back to the top

- Top -

Need help or have questions about this page? Please visit our Ask a Question or Report a Problem page.
Salisbury University 1101 Camden Avenue Salisbury, MD 21801 410-543-6000