Education Specialties
Holloway Hall

Secondary Certification Areas

A student pursuing secondary certification must be admitted to the University and declare a major in the content area with a track in education.  Secondary is not, in itself, a major.  Once declared, a student is assigned two faculty advisors:  one advisor from the major department and one advisor from the Department of Education Specialties.

Students pursuing secondary certification may not complete coursework on a "credit count" basis.  Education coursework may be completed only within a declared degree program.

At the undergraduate level, students at SU may achieve secondary teacher certification in the areas below.   Students interested in teaching should consult the department chair about current teacher-shortage areas.

Please follow the links below to the checklist for each program.