Stay tuned for upcoming events to be posted here.
Welcome to the Department of Education Specialties
The Department of Education Specialties offers graduate education programs and programs leading to secondary education certification in a number of liberal arts and science disciplines including biology, chemistry, earth science, English, French, health, history, mathematics, physics and Spanish. The Music, English, and the Health, Physical Education and Human Performance departments also offer K-12 certification in their respective disciplines (music, ESOL, physical education).
Due to requirements of accrediting agencies, some changes may occur in education programs. Students must see their advisors for information regarding these changes.
The Education Specialties Department faculty is committed to preparing classroom teachers and other educational personnel.
The department’s programs are designed with the following goals:
- Provide for the individualization of instruction of teachers and prospective teachers during their professional training.
- Encourage the emergence of a personal teaching style on the part of each teacher and prospective teacher.
- Assist teachers and prospective teachers in developing as reflective persons who, when confronted with a teaching problem, carefully identify the problem, take steps to accurately and systematically assess the problem, generate alternative solutions to the problem and choose an appropriate resolution on the basis of its desirable implications and consequences.
- Gather evidence that prospective teachers can bring about desired learning in students before they assume full responsibility for a classroom.
- Help prospective teachers develop self-confidence and competence as effective learners and teachers.
- Emphasize the importance of increasing interaction and collaboration among teachers, new and experienced, in resolving educational problems.
- Prepare teachers who are responsible agents of educational change.
* * *