What is Equal Employment Opportunity?
Equal Employment Opportunity, “promotes equality of opportunity in the workplace” and the enforcement of federal and State laws prohibiting employment discrimination.
As a student-centered educational institution we are dedicated to recruiting, educating and graduating all members our diverse student body, and adhere to all federal and State laws.
The Office of Diversity works collaboratively across the University to educate about, and support compliance with, all federal, State, and University System of Maryland laws, policies and procedures that prohibit discrimination and harassment.
Federal Laws and Statutes:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
- The Rehabilitation Act, Sections 503 and 504
- Executive Order 11246
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)
- Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA)
- Immigration Control and Reform Act (ICRC)
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Fair Labor Standards (FLS)
- Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy and Security Rules
- Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act
- Maryland State Civil Rights Laws