Skip to Main Content
Salisbury University
A Maryland University of National Distinction

Counseling Center

Parents' questions

Links for Parents

scontent: 1 bValue: -1 eValue:1

Five things

Questions parents might have

Referring others

Student and family transitions

Questions you might have:

What are the counseling resources? Is there a separate fee for using them?

Services at the Counseling Center include individual and group counseling, crisis intervention, outreach educational programming for students, training and consultation for faculty, staff and students on mental health and other psychological issues among students, and consultation around student psychological and behavioral problems for parents. There are no additional fees for these services.

Are there limits on the number of counseling sessions per student?

Students typically are limited to 8 individual counseling sessions per semester and unlimited group therapy sessions. Often times this is sufficient, and exceptions can be made to this limit. Referrals to the community can be made for students with mental health needs that surpass what can be offered through the Counseling Center.

Is there a psychiatrist available to prescribe medication if necessary?

There is not a psychiatrist available at Salisbury University. There are a number of psychiatrists in the community to whom students can be referred. In Student Health Services, there are several nurse practitioners who can prescribe and monitor medications in coordination with the Counseling Center. There is a $5 visit fee for these visits at Student Health Services. It is most often the case that the referral to the nurse practitioner comes from the Counseling Center staff. Continued counseling is typically recommended for students who are taking medications for psychiatric conditions.

What is the staff-to-student ratio for counselors? (The national average is 1 per 1,574.)

The ratio of fulltime equivalent staff to full time equivalent students is 1 to 1981.82 at Salisbury University.

How long is the waiting list in November and March (when typically counseling centers are busiest)?

There is no waiting list for counseling at the Counseling Center. Typically a student can be seen for their first appointment with a counselor within a week. A student can be seen for emergencies during business hours on a walk-in basis.

Does the school have an infirmary where students who need brief or extended care can stay when hospitalization isn’t required?

Salisbury University does not have an infirmary. The Counseling Center works closely with Peninsula Regional Medical Center for acute care needs.

Who should a student call if there is an emergency in the dormitory?

The University Police (410 543-6222) are available 24/7 in case of emergency. After business hours, students can reach a staff member from the Counseling Center by contacting University Police. Residence Life staff are also available to deal with emergencies.

Can my child’s medication be monitored, and is there a separate cost for that?

Nurse practitioners at the Student Health Services can monitor some medications for dosage and side effects. More complicated problems and medication regimes should be monitored by a psychiatrist in the community or from the student’s home town.

In what circumstances would a student be referred to a health provider or hospital outside the college community?

If the student was in danger of hurting himself or others he/she would be transported to the hospital. Referrals to outpatient health care providers would be made if the student’s concerns were not sufficiently able to be addressed with expertise of the staff or due to limited resources available on campus. Most students, however, are provided counseling on campus.

What local facilities does the college refer students to?

Peninsula Regional Medical Center is the hospital where students go. There are a number of private practices in the community, the Wicomico County Health Department, and Life Crisis Center that are part of the community resources available to students.

What kinds of mental health services outside the college community will the school insurance cover? (Be sure to check with your own provider also. Your child may need to come home to see a participating provider.)

Salisbury University does not have a health insurance plan for students.

Have the faculty, staff, and residential staff been trained to identify and properly refer students struggling with mental health issues?

Training on the identification of problems and on referral processes is offered annually to the Resident Advising (RA’s) staff and periodically for faculty and staff. There also is a wealth of information available on the website.

How does the student contact the counseling center to make an appointment?

A student can either call 410 543-6070 or stop by the Counseling Center (2nd floor of the Guerrieri University Center, room 263 across from the Vice President for Student Affairs Office) to schedule an appointment.

What are your guidelines on confidentiality? Under what circumstances would I be contacted?

All information at the Counseling Center is confidential, including whether or not a student is a client. This is in keeping with federal and state laws and the ethical standards of the American Psychological Association. Exceptions would be if the student were in danger of hurting himself or someone else, if there was a suspicion of child abuse or elder abuse, or if the records were subpoenaed by the court. In some circumstances to facilitate quality treatment for the student, family members or significant others may be contacted and/or involved with the student’s permission and with a release of information signed by the student.

1 These questions are from Kadison, R. & DiGeronimo, T. F. (2004). College of the Overwhelmed: The Campus Mental Health Crisis and What to Do about It. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, (pp. 206-207).

Need help or have questions about this page? Please visit our Ask a Question or Report a Problem page.
Salisbury University 1101 Camden Avenue Salisbury, MD 21801 410-543-6000