Interview Questions to Ask the Employer
It's your turn! As the interview comes to a close, one of
the final questions you may be asked is "What can I answer for you?" Have
questions of your own ready to ask. You aren't simply trying to get this job
- you are also interviewing the employer to assess whether this company and
the position are a good fit for you.
- How would you describe the responsibilities of the position?
- How would you describe a typical week/day in this position?
- Is this a new position? If not, what did the previous employee go on to do?
- What is the company's management style?
- Who does this position report to?
- If I am offered the position, can I meet him/her?
- How many people work in this office/department?
- How much travel is expected?
- Is relocation a possibility?
- What is the typical workweek?
- Is overtime expected?
- What are the prospects for growth and advancement?
- How does one advance in the company?
- Are there any examples?
- What do you like about working here?
- What don't you like about working here and what would you change?
- Would you like a list of references?
- If I were extended a job offer, how soon would you like me to start?
- What can I tell you about my qualifications?
- Are there any other questions I can answer for you?
- What are the biggest
challenges the person in this
position will face?
- What would a successful
first year in the position look
- How will the success of the
person in this position be
- How long did the previous
person in the role hold the
position? What has turnover in
the role generally been like?
- How would you describe the
culture here? What type of
people tend to really thrive,
and what type don't do as well?
- How would you describe your
- Thinking back to the person
who you've seen do this job
best, what made their
performance so outstanding?
- What is your time line for
getting back to candidates about
the next steps?
- Are there any reservations
you have about my fit for the
position that I could try to
Interview Questions NOT to Ask
- What does this company do? (Do your research ahead of time!)
- If I get the job when can I take time off for vacation? (Wait until you get
the offer to mention prior commitments)
- Can I change my schedule if I get the job? (If you need to figure out the
logistics of getting to work don't mention it now...)
- Did I get the job? (Don't be impatient. They'll let you know.)