Internship Interview Questions
Focus on future goals in place of professional experience:
- How do you think this internship experience will prepare you for your career?
- What are your plans for after graduation?
- Where do you see yourself in five/ten years?
- What are your long term and short term goals?
Inquire about academic experiences rather than professional:
- Tell me about a time when you had a heavy course load. How did you manage your time?
- How do you feel your campus involvement (if any) relates to the professional workplace?
- What has been your most rewarding college experience thus far?
- Why/how did you choose your major?
- What was your greatest achievement?
- What courses in your major have you completed thus far?
Ask questions to determine the candidate’s work ethic:
- Tell me about a time when you had to work as a member of a team to complete a task. What role did you fulfill?
- What was your favorite summer or part-time job? Why?
- What have you learned from your part-time or student jobs (if listed on resume)?
- Why did you choose the career field you would like to work in?
- What will motivate you in this position?
- Why do you think you will be successful in your chosen field?
- What do you believe is an intern’s role in an organization/company?
- Tell me a little more about yourself?
- What is your major and why did you choose it?
- Do your grades reflect your true ability? Why or why not?
- What extracurricular activities are you involved in?
- What leadership roles have you had?
- Why are you interested in this internship?
- How does this internship reflect your academic and career goals?
- How will this internship help you work towards these goals? What would you like to get out of this experience?
- Which of your courses, jobs, or extracurricular activities has prepared you for this internship and make you qualified?
- Would you like to receive academic credit for this experience? If so, what are the requirements for your school?
- What are your greatest strengths and biggest weaknesses?
- What are your most important/proudest accomplishments?
- What type of supervisor do you prefer to work under?
- When you have been told, or discovered for yourself a problem in your job performance, what have you typically done? Examples?
- What are some things you would like to avoid in a job? Why?
- What are some things you particularly liked about your last job or related course work?
- Do you consider yourself a self-starter? An independent worker? If so, explain.
- When you are jugging multiple things, how do you determine which projects to put on hold?
- Explain one of the following: the last major problem that you were confronted with; how you have dealt with difficult people; how you overcame an obstacle; or how you solved a problem.
- Are you familiar with _______________(the computer system that your company uses) and __________ software program?
- What date would you be able to start? What date would you have to terminate the position?
- What is your schedule of availability (What days and time are you available? How many hours a week can you work?)
- How would you handle conflicts between your school schedule and this internship?
- Why do you think we should hire you
- Do you have questions for me?