- Now: Mon Oct 05 11:17:03 EDT 2015
- Today: $today
- Oct 5, 2015 11:17:03 AM
- 10-05-2015 11:17 AM
- October 5, 2015 11:17:03 AM EDT
Enable: $enabledate, Expire: $expiredate
*Denotes need for additional education.
Typical Places of Employment - [Back to Top]
- State, county, or municipal government agencies, primarily in departments of human resources, social services, child welfare, mental health, health, housing, education, and corrections.
- Most in the private sector are in voluntary social service agencies, community and religious organizations, hospitals, nursing homes, or home health agencies.
Required Skills and Abilities - [Back to Top]
- Help individuals cope with problems such as inadequate housing, unemployment, lack of job skills, financial mismanagement, serious illness, disability, substance abuse, unwanted pregnancy, or antisocial behavior.
- Work with families that have serious conflicts, including those involving child or spousal abuse
- Most social workers specialize in a clinical field such as child welfare and family services, mental health, medical social work, school social work.
- Clinical social workers offer psychotherapy or counseling and a range of services in public agencies, clinics, as well as in private practice.
- Other social workers are employed in community organization, administration, or research.
- Help clients identify their real concerns and help them to consider solutions and find resources.
- Provide concrete information such as:
● Where to go for debt counseling.
● How to find child care or elder care.
● How to apply for public assistance or other benefits.
●How to get an alcoholic or drug addict admitted to a rehabilitation program.
- Arrange for services in consultation with clients and then follow through to assure the services are actually helpful.
- Review eligibility requirements, fill out forms and applications, arrange for services, visit clients on a regular basis, and step in during emergencies.
(Listed below are examples of SU Alumni and their Jobs in this major-For more alumni resources, go to Mentor Network)
||Child Protective Services Investigator
||Department of Social Services Anne Arundel County
||Learning Support Specialist
||Somerset County Public Schools
||Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services
||Social Worker Supervisor
||State Of Delaware-DHSS
Related Links: Further Explore this Career Field - [Back to Top]
Clinical Psychology vs. Social Work