Students: Year 4
Seniors - Fourth Year Students
Here are learning activities that you must do as a Senior to positively position yourself for launching your career:
- Polish your resume. Come into our office in GUC 133 anytime to get your resume reviewed. Review the skills and abilities employers covet. Reflect those skills and abilities in your resume.
- If you have not done so, secure an Internship. Read the Internship Alerts that are sent to your school Email account.
- Begin your Job Search. It takes the average college graduate about 4-6 months to find a job. Follow these job search pointers. Read the Job Alerts sent to your school Email account.
- Access the internet to secure job leads.
- Collect references for jobs or graduate school applications.
- Enroll in the Personal Career Planning Class (GENL-110) for 2 credits. This is a job/internship class for juniors and seniors.
- Sign-up for on-campus job interviews.
- Attend Job Fairs on-campus to hunt for jobs.
- Complete your profile on eRecruiting and upload your resume onto this SU employer database so employers can access your resume.
- Attend a workshop on interviewing skills. Schedule an appointment with the Career Services Staff for a mock interview to gain experience in job interviewing.
- Network with SU Alumni who have volunteered to be a career resource for you by using the SU Mentor program.
- Planning on going to graduate school? Become involved in undergraduate student research to increase your chances of acceptance. Take the required graduate school entrance test. By December, select and apply to your chosen graduate schools.
- Expand your involvement in clubs and activities on-campus. Rise to a leadership position.
- Think about studying abroad in the month of January of your senior year.
- Be careful what is in cyper space. Students often, inadvertently, hurt their future careers. Dangers lurk-Beware! Know them before it is too late.
- Not sure what to do. Consider the Gap Year, a year after graduation where you do some of those things you meant to do-like travel, study abroad and an internship- but never got around to OR do a Gap year because your just not sure what you want to do yet.
- The time to begin is NOW. Career Services stands ready to help you. Come into our office in GUC 133 anytime.