What is Conflict Analysis and Dispute Resolution?
Conflict analysis refers to the systematic study of conflict in general and of individual or group conflicts in particular. It provides a structured inquiry into the causes and potential flight of a conflict so that processes of resolution can be better understood.
Conflict analysis aims to gain a comprehensive and shared understanding of potential or ongoing violent conflicts. It is undertaken at local, national, regional and international levels.
Career Information -
Possible/Typical Job Titles -
- Communications Coordinator
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Director
- Program Analyst
- Human Resources Analyst
- Assistant Director
- Project Supervisor
- Health care workers
- Police officers
- Community activists
- Community educators
Typical Places of Employment -
- Government sectors-federal/state/local
- Religious Institutions
- Education-Public/Proive/Post Secondary
- The World Bank
- The International Development Bank
- The Red Cross
- The United Nations and affiliated organizations
- NGOs that work in the areas of development, capacity building, and post-war reconstruction
- Development and humanitarian organizations
- International businesses, law firms and financial institutions
Required Skills and Abilities-
- Traditional and Expedited Arbitration
- Early Neutral Evaluation
- Resolve conflicts between 2 individuals, in the case of divorce
- Problem solving
- Peer mediation
- Assist in resolving conflicts amongst groups
Alumni Resources -
(Listed below are examples of SU Alumni and their Jobs in this major-For more alumni resources, go to Mentor Network)
|Robert La Chance
||Director and Academic Program Coordinator
||Center for Conflict Resolution
||St. Mary's County Public Schools
||Lizen High School
Related Links: Further Explore this Career Field-
Association for Conflict Resolution
The Association for Conflict Resolution (ACR) is a professional organization dedicated to enhancing the practice and public understanding of conflict resolution. ACR represents and serves a diverse national and international audience that includes more than 6,000 mediators, arbitrators, facilitators, educators, and others involved in the field of conflict resolution and collaborative decision-making.
Global Nonviolent Action Database
Provides free access to information about hundreds of cases of nonviolent action for learning and for citizen action. They research campaigns that have reached a point of completion. The cases are drawn from all continents and most countries. People are shown struggling for human rights, economic justice, democracy, national and ethnic identity, environmental sustainability, and peace.
Peace and Justice Studies Association
PJSA is a non-profit organization dedicated to bringing together academics, K-12 teachers and grassroots activists to explore alternatives to violence and share visions and strategies for peacebuilding, social justice, and social change. PJSA also serves as a professional association for scholars in the field of peace and conflict resolution studies.
International Peace Research Association Foundation
Founded in 1964, IPRA is a scholarly association with links to hundreds of institutions and five regional institutions of its own. It is a member of the International Social Science Council and publishes the International Journal of Peace Studies.
H-Peace Discussion Network
H-Peace is an international scholarly network that seeks to broaden understanding about historical and contemporary peace and justice concerns. An affiliate of the Peace History Society, H-Peace provides an easy way to stay informed of the latest developments in Peace History and Peace Studies, and to communicate with other scholars working and teaching in these fields.
Journal of Religion, Conflict, and Peace
The Journal of Religion, Conflict, and Peace is an online scholarly journal that publishes articles regarding the role of religion in conflict and peacebuilding. The journal is a project of the Plowshares peace studies collaborative of Earlham, Goshen and Manchester Colleges funded by Lilly Endowment Inc.
Justice, Peace & Reconciliation website
The prestigious South African Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation website provides information on justice, peace and reconciliation efforts in countries throughout the world.
Other Career-Related Links:
- The Alliance for Conflict Transformation (ACT), Inc. is dedicated to building peace through innovative education, training, research and practice worldwide. ACT works with educators, youth, community and religious leaders, non-governmental organizations, and governmental agencies to transform social conflicts into opportunities for peaceful and positive change.
- (The) Association for Conflict Resolution - A professional organization dedicated to enhancing the practice and public understanding of conflict resolution. The biggest professional organization in the field
- The Carter Center - is guided by a fundamental commitment to human rights and the alleviation of human suffering; it seeks to prevent and resolve conflicts, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health.
- Center for Peacemaking and Conflict Studies - Jobs etc. from Fresno Pacific State
- The Centre for Conflict Resolution International (CCR International) has established an international reputation for assisting organizations in preventing and resolving workplace conflicts through processes that respect the dignity and privacy of all parties.
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- COEXISTENCE INTERNATIONAL is an initiative committed to strengthening the field of policymakers, practitioners, researchers, advocates, organizations and networks promoting coexistence at local, national and international levels.
- Community Relations Center - The Department of Justice's "peacemaker" for community conflicts and tensions arising from differences of race, color, and national origin.
- CRInfo: A Comprehensive Gateway to Conflict Resolution Resources
- Conflict Resolution Resource Research Institute (CRI) The goal is to ensure civility and equity in resolution through our assessments, trainings and interventions.
- COPENHAGEN PEACE RESEARCH INSTITUTE (COPRI)
- Florida Conflict Resolution Consortium - Represents the State's commitment to finding productive and cost-effective solutions to public disputes. Hosted at the University of Florida.
- Grove Consultants International is a process-consulting firm committed to advancing the art and practice of collaboration.
- How to Become a Police Officer
- Initiative on Conflict Resolution - INCORE (International Conflict Research) was set up in 1993 by the University of Ulster and the United Nations University to undertake research and policy work that is useful to the resolution of ethnic, political and religious conflicts.
- Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice, Institution offers programs to advance scholarship and practice in conflict resolution and human rights. Check out the career guide and internships.
- (The) Journal of Conflict Resolution
- Mediate.com - Connecting the World to mediation since 1996.
- National Association for Community Mediation
- Peace and Collaborative Development Networking Initiative. This is a free professional networking site (with over 1670 members from around the world) to foster dialogue and sharing of resources in international development, conflict resolution, gender mainstreaming, human rights, social entrepreneurship and related fields.
- Philanthropy Careers
- ProMediation - The Professional Mediation Association website
- ReliefWeb - the global hub for time-critical humanitarian information on Complex Emergencies and Natural Disasters, listing Humanitarian vacancies
- Sample Resumes - select your major
- The Online Journal of Peace and Conflict Resolution
- (The) Prejudice Institute - Assist at all levels in on-going projects and/or in the initiation of new projects. The research is basically social psychological or sociological in orientation and applied in perspective. Interns will have the opportunity to learn about research design, interviewing and questionnaire construction as well as data analysis. We also do archival research and content analyses and maintain extensive files on ethno violence and discrimination.
- The Rotary International Fellowship for Conflict Resolution
- USIP is the independent, nonpartisan conflict management center created by Congress to prevent and mitigate international conflict without resorting to violence
- U.S. Institute for Environmental Conflict Resolution - Assist parties in resolving environmental conflicts around the country that involve federal agencies or interests.
- Victim Offender Reconciliation Program of the Central Valley, Inc. - click here (California)
Graduate Programs-Conflict/Dispute Resolution & Peace Studies
- American University School of International Services - M.A. in International Peace and Conflict Resolution
- Arcadia University - International Peace & Conflict Resolution
- University of Baltimore, Negotiation & Conflict Management Program.
- Columbia University, The International Center For Cooperation and Conflict Resolution
- Dallas Baptist University - Graduate College of Org. Management. MA program in organizational management offers concentrations in general management, human resource management, and conflict resolution management.
- EMU (Eastern Mennonite University) Conflict Transformation Program
- Fresno Pacific University - The Center for Peacemaking and Conflict Studies offers graduate education in conflict management and peacemaking leading to the MA or graduate certificate.
- George Mason University - Institute for Conflict Analysis and Resolution (ICAR)
- Maxwell School of Syracuse University, The Program on the Analysis and Resolution of Conflicts (PARC) is an interdisciplinary center within the Maxwell School dedicated to enhancing knowledge about social conflicts
- Montclair State University, M.A. in Legal Studies with a concentration in Dispute Resolution in Upper Montclair, NJ.
- Non Profit Career Network
- NOVA Southeastern University - The Department of Conflict Analysis & Resolution (DCAR)
- Portland State University - in Portland, OR. The Master of Arts/Sciences Degree Program in Conflict Resolution is a theoretical and applied philosophy, as well as an interdisciplinary, professional program.
- Program on Negotiation, Harvard Law School.
- Royal Roads University - Master of Arts in Conflict Analysis and Management in Canada.
- University of Denver - Master of Arts. An interdisciplinary program in Conflict Resolution.
- The University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law offers a one-year residential Master of Laws in Dispute Resolution (LL.M.) degree.
- University of San Diego - Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice, Learn about this institution that offers programs that advance scholarship and practice in conflict resolution and human rights. Check out the career guide and internships.
- University of Victoria. British Columbia, Canada. Institute for Dispute Resolution
Resources for Legal Careers: