Communication Arts-Teamwork & Leadership on Your Resume
Hello and thank you for having me here today to talk to you about the
importance of TEAMWORK AND LEADERSHIP and how you list that on your resume.
First-How important is teamwork and leadership to employers?
These Are The Skills Employers Are Looking For:
Strong Work Ethic
Time for a quiz. Get out a piece of paper and and number from 1-15.
I am going to read a resume entry to you and you are to write down if the
entry is a teamwork/leadership entry or if it is not a good entry.
If it is a teamwork/leadership entry simply write down a tl. Leave it
blank if it is anything else. Make sure you read the screen with me.
These are ALL resume entries! You should get at lest 10 correct.
1. Instructed and supervised special class projects involving
research, reporting, dramatic plays, construction of materials.
2. Developed teamwork and interpersonal communication through playing
varsity basketball at Salisbury University.
3. Extremely loyal to my present firm, so please don’t let them know
of my immediate availability
4. Worked collaboratively with local school systems, Department of
Social Services, and Day/Residential Placements.
5. Organized, developed, and trained a volunteer base of fifteen.
6. Please don’t misconstrue my 14 jobs as ‘job hopping’. I have never
quit a job
7. While I am open to any uses of my educational achievements, I am
decidedly disposed that the task of the new responsibility be so oriented as
to at least partially configure so as to ultimately lead to the application
of more rarefied facets of financial management as the major sphere of
8. Assisted incoming students with transition to college as a Resident
9. university of Michigan, M.B.A. graduate studies. Will receive
degree= when I pay up the tuition I owe." Person applying for a job as a
10. Maintained a safe environment on property by working night security
11. I have extensive and some might say exceptional people skills, I love
people, almost all people, although I like some people more than others. I
have a lot of patience for stupid questions and try never to make stupid
people feel like they are stupid. I get along very well with all of my
co-workers as long as they respect my privacy and never touch any of my
12. They insisted that all employees get to work by 8:45 every morning.
Couldn’t work under those conditions
13. President of the Student Relations University Dining Services
14. Recipient of the Maryland House of Delegates Scholarship.
15. Instrumental in ruining entire operation for a Midwest chain
Below are real entries from CA students at Salisbury University
the position as Vice President Communications for Delta Gamma.
experience as the advertising assistant for “The Flyer.”
a leadership seminar for Delta Gamma on responsibility, time management, and
a Camp Leadership Course at Salisbury State University.
as group leader for Camping and Backpacking on the Appalachian Trail
for all stocking assignments
new employees about all procedures and policies of the restaurant
Greek rush event, fundraising, and community service in fall; oversaw all
activities associated with Greek Week in Spring
problems between campers of all ages and counseled each camper to work
the problem out
different activities for children to participate
with fellow employees in positive team environment
in various volunteer activities including March of Dimes ‘Best of the
Eastern Shore’ fundraiser
in team meetings and conference calls
respect and acceptance of team members based on performance and work ethic
The following resume examples either portray Leadership/Teamwork in a
very professional manner or not at all. Which resumes reflect those
Are you a team player?? Let's see. Take this little quiz. Click
here to see if you are a team player or a lone ranger.
Answers-Bad-3, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 15
.period = good entry or resume