Choosing Your Major
How to Choose a Major?????
- Write down who you are planning on using as a resource to select
Here's a list of things you can do to explore possible majors. Some are
easier than others. Some may take an hour while others take a quarter.
Some will work for you and some won't.
- Set specific goals. For
example, "By the end of this quarter I'll attend information sessions
for my top five majors, try to narrow to three, then meet with the
department advisers for those majors."
- Work with advisers throughout the
- Look at the list of undergraduate
- Attend some information sessions.
- Attend a "Choosing Your Major"
- Take a few introductory courses.
- Talk with department or college
- Talk with faculty in the major.
- Talk with students already declared in
- Talk with a premajor adviser.
- Talk with a career counselor.
- Talk with family and friends.
- Get a job or an internship.
- Take the personality/preference tests offered at the Counseling Center.
- Do undergraduate research.
- Peruse some academic journals in your areas
- Go to an academic conference.
- Assess your academic strengths.
-What do you want to be when your grow up? Click
here to take a look. Write down your 3 digit code.
-From the "Cross Off" Handout, cross off all the majors you
KNOW you don't want.
-Below you can see what our majors are and the personality codes.
Look at your 3 digit code and your "Cross Off" Sheet and try to continue
to narrow your list from the "Cross Off" handout.
-Always remember you can do different careers with a
particular major. Click
here to see "Celebrity Majors." Take the quiz and see
how good you are when you try to determine a major.
-Career Services Resources:
here for "What Can You Do With Your Major?"
SU Majors and Personality Codes:
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SCIENCE-IRE
GEOGRAPHY AND GEOSCIENCES-IRE
HEALTH EDUCATION SAE
LAB SCIENCE/MED TECH-ISA
MANAGEMENT INFO SYSTEMS-IRE
-Physical Education Teaching-SER