When Should I go to graduate School?
When should I go, right after getting my bachelor's
degree or after I work for a few years?
There are good reasons to
proceed either way, and again, it depends on your personal circumstances and
Go Directly to Grad School
Go to Work First
- You've already got the momentum and the discipline school requires.
- You may have fewer obligations, financial and otherwise, at 22 years
old vs. working for 5 years and going back to school at age 27.
- It can be difficult to divest yourself of the debt incurred with
financing your education.
- Your employer may offer tuition
reimbursement as part of its benefits package or
you can save money to pay for your education.
- You can gain a deeper understanding of your field through hands-on
experience-and what niche you want to pursue.
- You can learn what problems need to be solved, generating research
- A few years on a job can give you a different perspective on what's
important about your education.
- Your choice to go back to school may require financial sacrifices
from the other people in your life.
- It's easy to get addicted to a steady paycheck.