Graduate Student Council
* * *
Salisbury University (SU) Graduate Student Council (GSC) was
created in the Fall of 2011 with the goal of representing all
graduate students equally. The GSC is a completely student run
organization. The GSC advocates on behalf of graduate students,
and addresses their concerns with University administration and
shared governance groups, USM officials, the Board of Regents,
Article I. Name of
The name of this organization shall be the Graduate Student
Council (GSC) of Salisbury University (SU), hereinafter referred
to as GSC.
Article II. Mission
The GSC is the official political and social body for the
graduate students at SU.
The GSC’s goal is to provide avenues for intellectual,
professional, personal, and social development through grants,
advocacy, public presentation of research, graduate community
events, and campus service support.
Article III. Membership
- Membership in the GSC shall include all part-time and
full-time graduate students currently enrolled at SU,
hereinafter referred to as General Membership.
- The Assembly is the legislative body of the GSC. Members
of the Assembly will be referred to as Representatives of
the Assembly. Each graduate degree program at SU will have
the opportunity to elect two students to represent their
issues on the Assembly. Additionally, two at-large positions
will be available to any graduate student, part- or
- The GSC will consist of an Executive Council, the
Assembly, and General Membership.
Article IV. The Executive
- The Executive Council will be comprised of an elected
President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary.
- The President will appoint a Social Coordinator and
Public Relations Coordinator; the Vice President, Treasurer,
and Secretary will confirm those positions.
- The President shall be the primary representative and
spokesperson for the GSC, preside over all Executive Council
meetings, appoint Social Coordinator and Public Relations
Coordinator based on merit, maintain the common vision and
goals, and promote the growth of the GSC.
- The Vice President shall assume official duties of the
president if he/she is unable to do so, preside over the
Assembly, coordinate ad-hoc committees, and assist the
President in aforementioned duties.
- The Treasurer shall maintain financial records, sign all
financial related forms and contracts, prepare the annual
budget with assistance from the Executive Council, and chair
an appropriations committee to allocate funds for graduate
- The Secretary shall maintain the minutes of all
Executive Council and Assembly meetings, distribute minutes
in a timely manner after all meetings, maintain all official
documents including the Constitution, record an accurate
history of the GSC, and keep an up to date record of
- Social Coordinator shall plan, market, and execute all
events, as well as work with the Public Relations
Coordinator to advertise through the web and use of social
- Public Relations Coordinator shall maintain the GSC
online presence through the website and use of social social
media, as well as, oversee all issues dealing with
- The Executive Council shall maintain the mission of the
GSC according to the Constitution and By-Laws.
- The Executive Council is elected in accordance with the
- In the case of a vacant Executive Council position, the
President will seek to appoint an interim position, or shall
divide the remaining duties among the Executive Council
Article V. The Assembly
- The Assembly is the governing body of all graduate
students at SU, as well as representatives of the voice and
opinions of all graduate students.
- Representatives are elected in accordance with the
- Each Representative within the Assembly will be provided
with one vote to cast, in which case they must be present.
Article VI. Meetings
- GSC shall hold, but are not limited to, Executive
Council meetings, Assembly meetings, and ad-hoc committee
- Assembly meetings shall be open to general membership.
- A quorum of all GSC meetings shall be defined at
two-thirds (2/3) of the voting membership.
Article VII. Amendments
- Any member of the GSC may introduce an amendment
proposal to the Constitution.
- A two-thirds vote of the quorum is required for the
passage of any proposed amendments.
Article VIII. Equal
- The GSC shall support and abide by all Salisbury
University Equal Opportunity guidelines, and shall never
discriminate against any person due to race, color,
religion, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, status
as a veteran, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender
expression, or sex, except where sex is a bona fide
* * *
Date of Ratification: November 11, 2011 by the Founding
Members of the GSC