My work primarily focuses on large scale sculpture and installation which uses glass as a material for artistic expression, but also includes works in stone, steel, wood and works on paper. Sculpturally, I want to use the inherent properties of glass to convey notions which are not traditionally associated with the material, such as weightiness and mass, or its ability to have raw gutty surfaces that can speak to ideas about entropy and loss. I love the presence and dichotomy created by a material that is at once visually light but physically dense. My primary referent in my work is the man-made object. Whether this is architecture, industrial design, landscape modification or small objects of personal significance I use the world of the created object to comment on notions of personal history, experience, perception and memory.
* * *
Click image to view gallery.
2011 Cast Recycled Glass, Steel 18ft H X 8ft W X 4ft D
- Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center
- Louisiana State Museum
- Tulane University
Steven Durow, Object Relations. Exclusive Jewels Fine Art, Boston [Solo]
Art Around Town, Carbondale, CO[Juried]
Florida Outdoor Sculpture Competition, Polk Museum of Art, Lakeland FL [Juried, Catalog]
Glass Sculpture Invitational, Brazzee Street Studio, Cincinnati, OH [Invitational]
Grand Rapids Public Museum. Grand Rapids, MI. [Juried]
Dasein, Colorado Springs Museum of Fine art. Permanent Collection
Texas National, Stephen F. Austin State University, Juried by Dave Hickey [Juried, Catalog]
Lagrange National XXVII, Dodd Fine Arts Center, Lagrange, GA. [Juried, Catalog]
10X10X10, Pittsburg Glass Center, Pittsburg, PA. [Invitational]
Southern Open, Lafayette LA, Juried by Amy Mackie, [Juried, Catalog]
Work from the Michael D Robinson Collection, Louisiana Arts and Science Museum
Art for New Orleans, Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition. [invitational]
Louisiana Sculptors Exhibition, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA [invitational]
S.O.F.A Chicago, Navy Pier, Chicago, IL [invitational]
B.I.G.G Breakthrough Ideas in Global Glass, Columbus, Ohio. Juried by Tina Oldknow,Curator of the Corning Museum of Glass, Lino Tagliapietra and Tom Hawk [catalogue]
Sculpture Key West, Key West, FL. Juried by Shamim M. Momin, Associate Curator of the Whitney Museum and co-curator of the 2008 Whitney Biennial. [catalogue]
LSU Outdoor Sculpture Competition, Monroe, LA [Juried]
Originals, Tulane Faculty Exhibition, New Orleans, LA.
Fall Invitational, Brunner Gallery, Covington, LA
The Burden of Memory, Cecelia Coker Gallery, Coker College, Hartsville, SC [solo] [juried]
Steven Durow, Babbette Whatney, Shaw Center for the Arts Baton Rouge, LA
Outdoor Sculpture Competition, Courthouse Galleries Portsmouth, VA [juried]
Outdoor Sculpture Exh., Sculptue Key West, FL. Juror: Mary Ceruti, [catalogue]
Artists of UrbanGlass, Robert Lehman Gallery at UrbanGlass, Brooklyn NY
- Jan Garden Castro, "
Review, Sculpture Key West,” Sculpture Magazine, May 2009,
- Doug MacCash, "
Can Sculpture Save New Orleans?” Sculpture Magazine, May 2009,
- Karen Wilkin, "
Art at Land’s End,” ART IN AMERICA, September 2008, pg. 74-75
- Robin Miller, "
Durow Examines Life in Memory Show,” Baton Rouge Advocate,
August 24, 2008
- Corning Museum of Glass, "
New Glass Review 29,” 2008
- Henry Halem, "
Chemically Bonded Sand for Large Scale Glass Casting,” Glass Notes.
A Ref. for the Glass Artist. 4th Ed., 2006, pg. 96
- Hal Bromm, "
Sculpture Key West,” Wynwood The Art Magazine, March, 2008, pg. 44-45.
- Cammy Clark, "
Exhibit takes art to new dimension,” Miami Herald, March 19, 2008.
- Paradise Magazine, "
Sculpture Key West,” February 28, 2008, pg 15-17.
- The Citizen, "
Sculpture Key West Exhibition,” January, 20 2008, pg 1,5C.
- Glass Quarterly "
Director’s Cut: The Best Work from the Top Glass Programs,” Vol. 106 Spring 2007, pg. 38
- Country Roads, exhibition announcement with photograph, Baton Rouge, LA Vol. 24
Issue 3, March 2007, pg. 43
- Deborah Lilly, "
Artist Profile,” Signatures Magazine, Spring 2003, pg. 33
- Annette Rose-Shapiro, "
New York Experimental Glass Workshop,” CRART: Craft and Art, Vol. 10 Issue 14, 2002, pg. 71
- Christine MacDonald, "
Okemos Church Commissioned 16-Foot Sculpture,” Lansing State Journal, July 08, 2002, pg. B1
- Jane Mastin, "
From Imagination to Art,” Indianapolis Star, May 11, 2002, pg. D1
- NICHE Magazine, "
Niche Award Winners,” NICHE Magazine, Vol. 10 Issue 2 Spring 1998, pg. 87
- Anderson University, Artist Lecture 2012
- Illinois State University, Visiting Artist 2010
- Sculpture Key West, Key West, FL. Visiting Artist Lecture 2008
- Cecelia Coker Gallery, Coker College Hartsville, SC. Visiting Artist Lecture 2008
- Alfred University, Alfred, NY Visiting Artist 2008
- Glass Art Society Conference, Pittsburgh, PA. Emerging Artist Lecture 2007
- Glass Art Society Conference, St Louis, MO. Education Presentation 2006
- Visiting Student Kent State University, Kent, OH 2006
- Anderson University, Anderson IN Visiting Artist 2006
- International Festival of Glass, Stourbridge, England. Visiting Artist Lecture 2004
- Glass Art Society Conference, Seattle, WA. Education Presentation 2003
SELECTED GRANTS, AWARDS
- Commission, "
Green Lantern” the Motion Picture 2010
- B.I.G.G. Best in Show Award. 2009
- Facility Improvement Grant 2009
- Sculpture Key West, Best By Air Award 2009
- Sculpture Key West Artist Assistance Grant 2009
- Lurcy Grant to construct Perspective 2008
- Technology Upgrade Grant 2008
- Sculpture Key West Founders Award 2008
- Brancusi Merit Award, Courthouse Galleries 2008
- Courthouse Galleries Travel Grant 2008
- Sculpture Key West Artist Assistance Grant 2008
- Glass Art Society Emerging Artist Award 2007
- Graduate Fellowship, Tulane University 2004-2006
- Pilchuck Scholarship, Pilchuck Glass School 2005
- Architectural Commission Margaret Helfand Architects of NY, NY 2002
- Architectural Commission Cornerstone Outreach Ministries. Lansing, MI 2001-2002
MFA, Tulane University, 2006
New Orleans, Louisiana
◊ Areas of Specialization: Glass and Architectural Scale Sculpture, Installation
BFA, Anderson University 1998
◊ Areas of Specialization: Glass Blowing , Sculpture.
Pilchuck Glass School, 2005
◊ Therman Statom: Glass Sculpture
* * *