Comprehensive Housing Renovation Plan
Overview | Sustainability Notes |
- Construction Activity Pollution Prevention - Reduce pollution from construction activities by controlling soil erosion, waterway sedimentation and airborne dust generation.
- Site Selection - Avoid development of inappropriate sites and reduce the environmental impact from the location of a building on a site.
- Development Density & Community Connectivity - Channel development to urban areas with existing infrastructure, protect greenfields and preserve habitat and natural resources.
- Alternative Transportation: Public Transportation, Bicycle Storage & Parking Capacity - Reduce pollution and land development impacts from automobile use.
- Heat Island Effect, Roof - Reduce heat islands (thermal gradient differences between developed and undeveloped areas) to minimize impact on microclimate and human and wildlife habitat.
- Light Pollution Reduction - Minimize light trespass from the building and site, reduce sky-glow to increase night sky access, improve nighttime visibility through glare reduction, and reduce development impact on nocturnal environments.
- Water Use Reduction: - Maximize water efficiency within buildings to reduce the burden on municipal water supply and wastewater systems.
- Fundamental Commissioning of the Energy Systems - Verify that the building’s energy related systems are installed, calibrated and perform according to the owner’s project requirements, basis of design, and construction documents.
- Minimum Energy Performance - Establish the minimum level of energy efficiency for the proposed building and systems.
- Fundamental Refrigerant Management - Reduce ozone depletion.
- Optimize Energy Performance - Achieve increasing levels of energy performance above the baseline in the prerequisite standard to reduce environmental and economic impacts associated with excessive energy use.
- Energy Recovery Units – Roof mounted energy recovery units provide all fresh make up air to building.
- Enhanced Commissioning - Begin the commissioning process early during the design process and execute additional activities after systems performance verification is completed.
- Storage & Collection of Recyclables - Facilitate the reduction of waste generated by building occupants that is hauled to and disposed of in landfills.
- Building Reuse - Extend the life cycle of existing building stock, conserve resources, retain cultural resources, reduce waste and reduce environmental impacts of new buildings as they relate to materials manufacturing and transport.
- Construction Waste Management - Divert construction, demolition and land-clearing debris from disposal in landfills and incinerators. Redirect recyclable recovered resources back to the manufacturing process. Redirect reusable materials to appropriate sites.
- Recycled Content - Increase demand for building products that incorporate recycled content materials, thereby reducing the impacts resulting from extraction and processing of virgin materials.
- Regional Materials - Increase demand for building materials and products that are extracted and manufactured within the region, thereby supporting the use of indigenous resources and reducing the environmental impacts resulting from transportation.
- Minimum IAQ Performance Required - Establish minimum indoor air quality (IAQ) performance to enhance indoor air quality in buildings, thus contributing to the comfort and well-being of the occupants.
- Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS) Control - Minimize exposure of building occupants, indoor surfaces, and ventilation air distribution systems to Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS).
- Outdoor Air Delivery Monitoring - Provide capacity for ventilation system monitoring to help sustain occupant comfort and well-being.
- Increased Ventilation - Provide additional outdoor air ventilation to improve indoor air quality for improved occupant comfort, wellbeing and productivity.
- Construction IAQ Management Plan: During Construction - Reduce indoor air quality problems resulting from the construction/renovation process in order to help sustain the comfort and well-being of construction workers and building occupants.
- Construction IAQ Management Plan: Before Occupancy - Reduce indoor air quality problems resulting from the construction/renovation process in order to help sustain the comfort and well-being of construction workers and building occupants.
- Low-Emitting Materials: Adhesives & Sealants, Paints & Coatings, Carpet Systems - Reduce the quantity of indoor air contaminants that are odorous, irritating and/or harmful to the comfort and well-being of installers and occupants.
- Controllability of Systems: Thermal Comfort - Provide a high level of lighting system control by individual occupants or by specific groups in multi-occupant spaces (i.e. classrooms or conference areas) to promote the productivity, comfort and well-being of building occupants.
- Thermal Comfort: Design - Provide a comfortable thermal environment that supports the productivity and well-being of building occupants.
- Thermal Comfort: Verification - Provide for the assessment of building thermal comfort over time.
- Innovation in Design: Green Housekeeping, Education & Outreach, & Integrated Pest Management.
* * *