How to Apply for a Graduate PLUS Loan
- Step 1: Complete Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Credit Check
- Step 2: Complete Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Entrance Counseling
- Step 3: Complete Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Promissory Note
Step 1: Complete Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Credit Check
- Go to StudentLoans.gov. (Note: This is the U.S. Department of Education's official student loan website, which has a .gov extension. Do not use StudentLoans.com, which is a commercial website.).
- Click Sign In.
- Sign in with your PIN and user details. If you do not already have a
PIN, you will need to apply for one through
- Click the Request a PLUS Loan link.
- Under "Select the loan type" click the Graduate PLUS Loan link.
Step One: School & Loan Info
- Complete the student information section.
- Answer the Deferment, Authorization of Funds and Credit Balance Questions.
- Select Salisbury University as the school attending
- Select the 2014-2015 Award Year (fall 2014/spring 2015)
- Select a Loan Amount option. The borrower may borrow an
amount up to the cost of attendance minus other financial assistances
received. This amount can be obtained from your student's GullNet account.
(Self Service > Campus Finances > Accept/Decline awards). If you request a
loan amount greater than your eligibility, the loan will automatically be
reduced to the maximum amount eligible.
- Select a Loan Period.
- Academic Year: 08/2014-05/2015 (The deadline to apply for this loan is May 7, 2014)
- Fall 2014: 08/2014-12/2014 (The deadline to apply for this loan is December 11, 2013
- Spring 2015: 01/2015 - 05/2015 (The deadline to apply for this loan is May 7, 2014)
Step Two: Borrower Info
- Complete each question
Step Three: Review Request
- Review all information provided and verify it is correct prior to submitting the loan application.
Step Four: Credit Check & Submit
- Submit your information for a credit check.
- The results of your credit check will be available immediately. Regardless of the results an electronic confirmation will be sent to Salisbury University within 1-2 working days.
- If your credit check has been denied you may click on "View Credit Check
Details" for more information. You will also be given the options below.
Choose one of these options and then click on "Continue"
- I do not want to pursue a Direct PLUS loan at this time.
- I want to obtain an endorser.
- I want to provide documentation of extenuating circumstance.
- If your credit has been approved AND you have completed an MPN for this loan and did not have an endorser on the previous Master Promissory Note, STOP, your application process is completed.
- If your credit has been approved and you are a first time borrower or previously had an endorser, remain signed in, and complete the next two steps.
- Make sure to click "Submit" at the end of the MPN to ensure the information is electronically sent to the Direct Loan Servicing Center. Our office will be notified, electronically, within 1-2 working days.
* * *