Federal Direct PLUS Loan
How Parents Apply
- Now: Thu Apr 16 11:44:43 EDT 2015
- Today: $today
- Apr 16, 2015 11:44:43 AM
- 4-16-2015 11:44 AM
- April 16, 2015 11:44:43 AM EDT
The student must have a official FAFSA (2014-2015) on file and have received an award notification from our office. Parent - Do not complete the next steps if this step is not complete.
- Parent - Go to StudentLoans.gov. (Note: This is the U.S. Department of Education's official student loan website, which has a .gov extension. Do not use StudentLoans.com, which is a commercial website.) Click Sign In
- The parent signs in with PIN and user details. If the parent borrower does not already have a PIN, they will need to apply for one through pin.ed.gov
- Click the Request a Direct PLUS Loan link.
- Click the Parent PLUS Loan link.
Step One: School & Loan Info
- Complete the student information section.
- Answer the Deferment, Authorization of Funds and Credit Balance Questions.
- Select Salisbury University as the school attending.
- Select the 2014-2015 Award Year (fall 2014/spring 2015)
- Select a Loan Amount option. The parent borrower may borrow an amount up to the cost of attendance minus other financial assistance received. This amount can be obtained from your student's Gull Net account. (Self Service > Campus Finances > Accept/Decline Awards). If you request a loan amount greater than your eligibility, the loan will automatically be reduced to the maximum amount eligible. If you indicate "I do not know the amount I want to borrow," our office will assume you wish to borrow the maximum amount eligible.
- Select a Loan Period.
- Academic Year: 08/2014-05/2015
- Fall 2014: 08/2014-12/2014
- Spring 2015: 01/2015-05/2015
- View Screenshot
Step Two: Borrower Info
Step Three: Review Request
- Review all information provided and verify it is correct prior to submitting the loan application.
Step Four: Credit Check & Submit
- Submit your information for a credit check.
- The results of your credit check will be available immediately. Regardless of the results an electronic confirmation will be sent to Salisbury University within 1-2 working days.
Credit Denied Instructions
If your credit check has been denied you may click on "View Credit Check Details" for more information. If you have questions regarding the credit decision please contact the U.S. Department of Education's Applicant Services at 1-800-557-7394. Choose one of these options and then click on "Continue."
- I do not want to pursue a Direct PLUS loan at this time. (Choose this option if you would like your student to be offered an additional unsubsidized loan. Freshmen and sophomores can borrow up to an additional $4000 in unsubsidized loans, and juniors and seniors can receive up to an additional $5000 per academic year. Once our has been notified by the processor we will put an offer on the student's GullNet for him/her to accept.)
- I want to obtain an endorser. (Choose this option if you would like to use a co-signer. Your application will be processed after we receive the endorser approval from the processor.)
- I want to provide documentation of extenuating circumstance to appeal credit decision. (Choose this option if you believe the credit check is inaccurate or you can provide updated information about extenuating circumstances.)
- Undecided. (If you choose this option, the PLUS loan will not be processed.)
Credit Approved Instructions
If your credit has been approved AND you have completed an MPN for this same student (meaning you previously borrowed for them) and did not have an endorser on the previous Master Promissory Note, STOP, your application process is completed.
If your credit has been approved and you are a first time borrower or previously had an endorser for this student click on the "Complete a Master Promissory Note" link.
- If you are an eligible non-citizen, you must submit documentation, to OUR OFFICE, to confirm your citizenship status if you are a first time borrower at Salisbury University. Copy both sides of your valid eligible non-citizenship documentation, write "PLUS Loan," the student's name, and SU ID on the copies, and fax to our office at (410) 543-6138 or send them electronically. Please submit proof immediately to avoid processing delays.
- Click on Parent PLUS and follow the instructions.
- Make sure to click "Submit" at the end of the MPN to ensure the information is electronically sent to the Direct Loan Servicing Center. Our office will be notified, electronically, within 1-2 working days.
Parent borrowers may make changes to the PLUS Loan during the school year and after the loan is disbursed.