Description: TRiO Peer Mentors will be assigned one to three “mentees,” ideally
with similar interests, majors or minors, and will meet with
them to provide an additional layer of support and guidance from
a student-based perspective. A typical one-on-one meeting might
consist of the mentor and mentee meeting to talk about how the
mentee’s semester is going, see what questions they have, offer
peer-to-peer advice and refer them to campus resources. TRiO
Mentor positions are meant to provide a solid leadership and
professional development opportunities for selected Mentors.
TRiO Mentors will be paid a stipend of $150 per semester.
For consideration, candidates must possess the following
- Sophomore, Junior, or Senior standing
- Good academic standing 2.5 GPA or higher
- Clear judicial record at Salisbury University
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills or
- Availability and commitment to meeting with mentee/s
- Must be able to attend all trainings and meetings as
- Set a positive tone for interaction, demonstrating
responsibility and respect for others’ rights, feelings,
lifestyles, and diverse backgrounds
Responsibilities: TRiO Peer Mentors will be expected to fulfill the following
- Meet face to face with your mentee(s) at least once a
month and have weekly contact (email or phone, texting alone
is not sufficient) for communication as well as academic and
- Act as a positive role model guiding the mentee(s)
through interaction, by demonstrating responsibility, and
respect for others’ rights, feelings, lifestyles, and
- Attend all required training and workshops to enhance
- Submit weekly mentoring log to document contact hours
(due by Friday at 5pm.)
- Conduct monthly updates with mentee, and exchange
information pertinent to the mentee’s professional and
- Use technology on a weekly basis to communicate with
mentees through portals such as Twitter, Facebook or email.
- Refer mentees to appropriate SU/community related
resources as needed.
- Maintain positive relationships with mentees and other
TRiO mentors, as well as faculty and staff.
- Notify the TRiO Achieve program of any concerns that
could affect the success of the mentorship.
- Notify the TRiO Achieve administrative staff if at any
time a mentee terminates his/her involvement with the
- Maintain a professional demeanor and optimistic
attitude, which includes, but is not limited to, being on
time; dressing appropriately; meeting deadlines; managing
personal/professional time; using appropriate language and
If you are interested in being a TRiO Peer Mentor please
Peer Mentoring Application (PDF)
and return to TRiO ACHIEVE SSS, GUC 228.
* * *