Skip to Main Content
Salisbury University
A Maryland University of National Distinction

Accounts Payable & Travel

Per Diem Meal Rates

Meal Reimbursement Rates

Domestic High Cost Metropolitan Areas

scontent: 1 bValue: -1 eValue:1

Meal Reimbursement Rates

Conference/Meeting Agendas are required for all expense accounts when requesting reimbursements for meals.  All meals provided by the conference/meeting will not be reimbursed on expense accounts unless a valid explanation as to why the meal provided was not consumed.  This explanation must accompany the expense account form.  

Through June 30, 2017:

Effective July 1, 2014, current standard per diem meal rates without receipts:
Breakfast    $ 9.00
Lunch          11.00
Dinner         25.00
Total          $45.00

High cost per diem meal rates with detailed receipts:
Breakfast    $10.00
Lunch           12.00
Dinner          30.00
Total           $52.00

Effective July 1, 2017:

Effective July 1, 2017, current standard per diem meal rates without receipts:
Breakfast    $10.00
Lunch           12.00
Dinner          25.00
Total           $47.00

High cost per diem meal rates with detailed receipts:
Breakfast    $11.00
Lunch           13.00
Dinner          30.00
Total           $54.00

Any representative of this university, on travel status, should not request reimbursement for any amount(s) not spent. Nor should any employee ask for reimbursement of a meal (s) not consumed or for any meal included with a registration fee.
Foreign travel is reimbursed at actual cost with original receipts or at the applicable U.S. Department of State Meal and Incidental (M&IE) rate without receipts. The USM Board of Regents will review these rates biennially.  No incidental expenses will be reimbursed.  To complete the expense form using the USDS Meal and Incidental schedule you must:

1.  Follow this link to the Foreign Per Diem Rate by Location.  Determine the total reimbursable amount from the table.

2.  Then, follow the link to the FTR allocation tables to determine the amount reimbursed for each meal.  Again, incidental expenses will not be reimbursed.  The total amount reimbursed is the total of the meal allowances, or, the total per diem rate, less the amount allocated for incidentals.
Please note: A partial day’s travel is eligible for the appropriate meal (s) consumed when travel time encompasses a period of two hours before and/or two hours after one’s normal work day.

Under no circumstance will lunch be reimbursed on a one day trip unless both of the above criteria are met. An employee would need to work a minimum of 12 hours plus a lunch period of at least 30 minutes to be eligible for lunch reimbursement (i.e...start 6 a.m., returned back to campus 7 p.m. or later with the normal work day occurring between 8 -5 p.m. with a lunch hour taken into consideration). These departure / arrival times must be clearly indicated on any expense account presented. 

Institutional funds may not be used for the purchase of alcoholic beverages or additional flight insurance. 

Domestic High Cost Metropolitan Areas

To determine per diem reimbursement for high cost metropolitan areas, please use the link below.  Include a printed copy of the rates with your expense form.

Domestic High Cost Metropolitan Areas

Need help or have questions about this page? Please visit our Ask a Question or Report a Problem page.
Salisbury University 1101 Camden Avenue Salisbury, MD 21801 410-543-6000