In 1922, the Maryland Legislature
established a commission to determine a location for a two-year college
on the state’s Eastern Shore. A site at Salisbury was selected and the
institution opened in September 1925.
The college’s two-year course of study was increased to three years in
1931 and to four years in 1934. Following this, and by action of the
Legislature of 1935, the College was authorized to grant the Bachelor of
The academic program expanded in 1947 and in 1960, offering four-year
programs in arts and sciences and providing students with a Bachelor of
Arts or Bachelor of Science. The University continues to meet the
increasing demands of society for quality education and today offers a
variety of undergraduate programs in liberal arts, sciences and in the
professional fields of business administration, education, medical
technology, nursing, respiratory therapy and social work.
In 1962, the State Board of Trustees approved a graduate program leading
to the Master of Education, followed with a Master of Arts in English
(1974), a Master of Business Administration (1981), a Master of Science
with a major in nursing (1982). The Board of Regents for the University
System of Maryland has subsequently approved a Master of Education with
a major in educational
leadership (1994), a Master of Arts in
Teaching (1996), a Master of Arts with a major in history (1998), a
Master of Science in Applied Health Physiology (2000), and a Master of
Social Work (2001).
Today, Salisbury University is a nationally accredited, four-year
comprehensive university offering 54 distinct undergraduate and graduate
degree programs in a friendly atmosphere that encourages close
relationships between faculty and students.